This Could Be The Biggest Recession Since The 1930s

15 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

Yes, we remember those times...

15% interest rates, unemployment, winter of discontent, strikes, the 3 day week, electricity rationing.

They were the good times. :loopy:

Well then you can console yourself that under the stewardship of the oldies it's looking very much like a return to that, along with all the other things too... :loopy:

Edited by Magilla

56 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Contrived nonsense.

Couldn't disagree more, 'oldies' have had it easy by comparison to the prospects for many of today's youngsters IMHO.

Affordable housing, decent job security, a relatively young population and a working welfare state...

...your "consequences" aren't a result of actions by the youngsters, they're a product of the selfishness and incompetence of the oldies.

As a middle aged person working in a new and predominantly 'youngster' driven industry, I can assure you there's nothing wrong with the kids of today. They're hard working, bright, intelligent, resourceful, innovative, ambitious and most of all, pay a shed load of tax.

Given the ageing population, they're doing their bit to "keep the country afloat" more than many oldies ever did.

Most of us oldies started work at 15 or 16 and have worked solid for 40+ years. Our expectations were lower and we were satisfied with less. Life was simpler. We worked, got married, had kids, and took care of them, and paid a shed load of tax too, for most of us that was about it. All the advantages you mention (highlighted) were fought for and won by these people, with the help of the Unions, and Labour governments because we took an interest in politics and voted for them.

My earlier years in the 70's were spent protesting for equal pay and women's rights, again hard won, but you are enjoying the benefits of that and have choices we only dreamed of. (I also fought for home carers ie housewives and mothers to get an adequate payment for their toil paid for by husbands set in law. But that one failed, although we did get a rise in family allowance...)

But like everything else there are consequences. Remember these benefits not only have to be won but protected and maintained.  That they have slipped is not the fault of the older generation, but the younger one, and the coming of free market economics and Neoliberalism, (sorry but it's true,) We are seeing the devastating results which have been a long time coming but were predicted right from the start. We have seen a deliberate intent to 'roll back the state' and reduce the power of the people to a tick in a box once every 5 years, so we couldn't interfere with their big business plans, and now there is no difference between the parties anyway. 

I fought against it but where were you?

Edited by Anna B

58 minutes ago, Magilla said:

They're hard working, bright, intelligent, resourceful, innovative, ambitious and most of all, pay a shed load of tax.

But dont seem to be having much effect do they, these bright, intelligent resourceful ambitious people. youngsters ?

Edited by Gormenghast

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Did you really though Anna, or at some point did you decide to draw up the drawbridge on many of the privileges you enjoyed that no longer exist for many youngsters...

...didn't you vote for the biggest roll back of rights for UK citizens in living memory that is Brexit?

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

But like everything else there are consequences. Remember these benefits not only have to be won but protected and maintained.  

They also have to be paid for. Something which far too often gets overlooked and brushed under the carpet by certain people when they are demanding more more more.

Blah blah it's all the fault of neoliberalism....  Blah blah Tories out...  Labour are best blah blah....

18 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

But dont seem to be having much effect do they, these bright, intelligent resourceful ambitious people. youngsters ?

...weighed down by the ever increasing burden of an ageing population, I think they're doing OK under the circumstances.

In terms of "keeping the country afloat", in the long-run they'll end up doing at least as much, if not more, than the oldies of today.

Edited by Magilla

1 hour ago, Gormenghast said:

Yes, we remember those times...

15% interest rates, unemployment, winter of discontent, strikes, the 3 day week, electricity rationing.

They were the good times. :loopy:

There’s about 4 decades since then.

A whole career until retirement, for anyone young enough at the time.

Just a thought.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

They also have to be paid for. Something which far too often gets overlooked and brushed under the carpet by certain people when they are demanding more more more.

Blah blah it's all the fault of neoliberalism....  Blah blah Tories out...  Labour are best blah blah....

Not sure which benefits you're referring to, but as I read Anna's post I think she was talking about Equal Pay. Yes employers have to pay women the same as men, but that's only fair surely???

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Most of us oldies started work at 15 or 16 and have worked solid for 40+ years. Our expectations were lower and we were satisfied with less. Life was simpler. We worked, got married, had kids, and took care of them, and paid a shed load of tax too, for most of us that was about it. All the advantages you mention (highlighted) were fought for and won by these people, with the help of the Unions, and Labour governments because we took an interest in politics and voted for them.

My earlier years in the 70's were spent protesting for equal pay and women's rights, again hard won, but you are enjoying the benefits of that and have choices we only dreamed of. (I also fought for home carers ie housewives and mothers to get an adequate payment for their toil paid for by husbands set in law. But that one failed, although we did get a rise in family allowance...)

But like everything else there are consequences. Remember these benefits not only have to be won but protected and maintained.  That they have slipped is not the fault of the older generation, but the younger one, and the coming of free market economics and Neoliberalism, (sorry but it's true,) We are seeing the devastating results which have been a long time coming but were predicted right from the start. We have seen a deliberate intent to 'roll back the state' and reduce the power of the people to a tick in a box once every 5 years, so we couldn't interfere with their big business plans, and now there is no difference between the parties anyway. 

1 hour ago, L00b said:

There’s about 4 decades since then.

A whole career until retirement, for anyone young enough at the time.

Just a thought.

Quite true, and it took that long to recover.  The time for younger people to complain is when they're  reaching the end of their careers if they haven't survived the harder times.

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

Did you really though Anna, or at some point did you decide to draw up the drawbridge on many of the privileges you enjoyed that no longer exist for many youngsters...

...didn't you vote for the biggest roll back of rights for UK citizens in living memory that is Brexit?

No I have never stopped fighting, particularly when Jeremy Corbyn wanted to address a lot of the issues I supported him and tried to get his message out. 

I did vote for Brexit because I was under the impression we would gain more freedoms, not lose them.

I got this impression from the charismatic Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, an enthusiastic and optimistic supporter of Brexit. That was before I found out what a liar and conman he really is.

I still think he should be in jail for the barefaced lies he told, which undoubtedly swung the vote in favour of leave.

But blow me down, some silly sods voted him Prime Minister instead.