Mick Lynch Rmt

Guest makapaka

The Union are actually missing a trick here by not bringing more attention to these modernisations which the railway companies are planning.

Yes, they do need to cut costs although the Government subsidy is only half of that of France and only a third of that of Germany.

How they cut costs could have massive repercussions for rail safety as they get rid of the track maintenance men.

They have said they could mount sensors underneath the coaches and take 24,000 photos an hour to check the track and look for hairline cracks in the track.

Who is going to sit and look at millions of photos every day?

Platelayers, who check the tracks, check everything, including checking and tightening loose nuts & bolts at the fish plates so how would a sensor or camera do this.

What other money saving schemes will they come up with before we have a major tragedy occur.

I guarantee that I will NOT be travelling on a high speed train. 

31 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The Union are actually missing a trick here by not bringing more attention to these modernisations which the railway companies are planning.

They have said they could mount sensors underneath the coaches and take 24,000 photos an hour to check the track and look for hairline cracks in the track.

Who is going to sit and look at millions of photos every day?

Have you heard of these new fangled things called computers, they're quite good at repetitive tasks.

It's 2022, every single train should have this technology, constantly monitoring the 20,000 miles of track, which will trigger human intervention when necessary.

6 minutes ago, fools said:

Have you heard of these new fangled things called computers, they're quite good at repetitive tasks.

It's 2022, every single train should have this technology, constantly monitoring the 20,000 miles of track, which will trigger human intervention when necessary.

And going on facebooks dodgy ai banning people left right and centre for the stupidest things I'd say it's not great

13 minutes ago, fools said:

Computers are not new fangled things.  I was programming them in the 80's.

So computers can tighten nuts & bolts up can they? 

Have you any idea what a platelayers job consists of?

Computers can do many things but not everything.

Accountants  (and government ministers)  may not know that but railwaymen will.

That's the problem with this rail argument - half of them don't know what they are talking about and the other half tend to be stuck in the past.

It just needs someone with intelligence plus knowledge.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

And going on facebooks dodgy ai banning people left right and centre for the stupidest things I'd say it's not great

You are mixing up coded ideology with pattern recognition.

Camera + PC + accelerometer and a bit of code is a dirt cheap way of finding faults before they become big problems. Things have moved on from teams of people chewing their BIC's.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

Computers are not new fangled things.  I was programming them in the 80's.

So computers can tighten nuts & bolts up can they? 

Have you any idea what a platelayers job consists of?

Computers can do many things but not everything.

Accountants  (and government ministers)  may not know that but railwaymen will.

That's the problem with this rail argument - half of them don't know what they are talking about and the other half tend to be stuck in the past.

It just needs someone with intelligence plus knowledge.

If you were programming in the 80's, why in the 2020's are you dismissing their ability to spot defects.

There's a rover on Mars taking samples of rock, autonomously .. are you still poking at your Spectrum to get extra lives.

5 minutes ago, fools said:

You are mixing up coded ideology with pattern recognition.

Camera + PC + accelerometer and a bit of code is a dirt cheap way of finding faults before they become big problems. Things have moved on from teams of people chewing their BIC's.

surely thats by pattern recognition, which i presume automatically checking pictures on facebook is too?

18 minutes ago, fools said:

Got there ahead of me. Computers, remote surveillance and electronic monitoring is already being used widely across industry.

Jesus, there are parts of the rail network where surveillance is already being done remotely using helicopter cameras.  People have no idea the sorts of data, monitoring, inspection and measuring the can be checked by computers in the fraction of a second these days.  

I'm smelling a whiff of Union scaremongering. The usual favoured tactic to try and justify clinging onto outdated unnecessary jobs and  refusing to adapt to change.

Heard it all before. Of course safety important, but that doesn't mean things don't evolve.

...We had all this crap with the whole train driver AND  conductor nonsense when it came to a simple task of closing doors....  We had all this crap when it came to removing manual ticket barriers in favour of of automated gates, yet amazingly thousands of people get through station platforms through automated gates without the world imploding or mass fatalities..... We had all this crap when they were muting automatic train control and yet networks all over the world are managing such operations with little incident... We had all this when they talked about remote-controlled level crossings and yet somehow the fatality numbers haven't rocketed significantly beyond the same numbers of manual ones.....

The lady protest too much I think.  

You'll have to be more specific about what the stupidest things are, words or pictures. Pictures are often trained by humans.

My point being, there's not going to be any ideology (you'd hope) involved in deciding whether that hairline crack needs looking at, but social networks often have an agenda behind their banning decision ....  bit like here, a couple of years ago.

Edited by fools

13 minutes ago, fools said:

If you were programming in the 80's, why in the 2020's are you dismissing their ability to spot defects.

There's a rover on Mars taking samples of rock, autonomously .. are you still poking at your Spectrum to get extra lives.

Because, as I said, computers can't do everything.

Let me know when you have your car serviced  at a garage, by a computer instead of a human.

That's ONE rover on ONE planet moving very slowly and taking all the time it needs to collect a few bits of rock.

Find out how much that costs.  I thought the idea was to save money.

We have more than one train running at once down here.

Please don't let your name mislead you.