How Are You Preparing For Future Price Hikes?

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My soil is pretty bad too. Not clay but we only have a thin layer of soil then it's all hard-core. We've had to dig as much out as possible and replace with topsoil and fertilizer. Seems to be working so fingers crossed 🤞 

Grandma had a neighbor, Silam Case we called him, until we found out she meant "asylum case". He wouldn't give us our balls back. He worked on his garden all the time and everything came up well.  I remember he used to cover it with lime  when he turned it over. He knew what he was doing.

I had a workmate in Toronto, a Dutch guy who had money to burn. When he built his house he had all the clay removed and brought in loads of beautiful top soil. Weeds were never a problem. When one appeared, he could just pick it out with two fingers.  He also had his lawns and pathways with no edging, so he could cut the grass in one swoop with having to go around with a trimmer. He planted only perrenials.  

You can learn a lot from guys like that.

6 minutes ago, crookesey said:

You can’t plan for the unknown, I suggest setting your room stat this winter at a lower but acceptable temperature and using less car fuel.

Agreed. Another thing to do if you have a combi boiler is to set the hot water temp lower. I have mine at around 50c, plenty hot enough without then having to use cold water to cool it down which is then just a waste of heating it up in the first place. I also don't have my heating on a timer and just turn up the room stat when its cold. Another tip, for washing small bits use the kettle to heat the water rather than the gas boiler if possible.

Hot water needs to be 60C to kill Legionnaires bacteria, beware setting it lower especially if you have a hot water tank (the heat goes into the surroundings eventually anyway, so not wasting energy in winter).

Gas is a quarter of the price of electricity, something to bear in mind when using kettle rather than a gas boiler.

Timer plus room stat is more control than just a room stat, and a lot less faff.

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

Just renewed a motor insurance policy and it's the lowest its ever been. In fact it most likely is cheaper than filling the tank up with petrol. 

I agree It must cost a fair bit to fill up your RR. RR meaning Robin Reliant not Rolls Roce, Mr Bucket. :hihi:

22 minutes ago, fools said:

Hot water needs to be 60C to kill Legionnaires bacteria, beware setting it lower especially if you have a hot water tank (the heat goes into the surroundings eventually anyway, so not wasting energy in winter).

Notice I did say combi boiler as Legionnaires bacteria will only form in hot water tanks and as combi boilers don't have them is no problem on what the temperature is. ;) If your hot water tank is heating the surrounding area then you have not lagged it enough making it inefficient.

Gas is a quarter of the price of electricity, something to bear in mind when using kettle rather than a gas boiler.

Notice I did say washing small bits, as a kettle is far more energy efficient at heating up a litre or so of water than running the boiler to heat up the same amount and then having some hot water left  in the pipes not used.

Timer plus room stat is more control than just a room stat, and a lot less faff.

No all a timer does is turn the boiler on and off at a predetermined time regardless of whether you want it to be on or not. The best way to control how you use it is to do it manually and on demand. Less faff only applies to the lazy.

Edited by Dromedary

12 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Notice I did say combi boiler as Legionnaires bacteria will only form in hot water tanks and as combi boilers don't have them is no problem on what the temperature is. ;)

Notice I did say washing small bits, as a kettle is far more energy efficient at heating up a litre or so of water than running the boiler to heat up the same amount and then having some hot water left  in the pipes not used.

No all a timer does is turn on the boiler at a predetermined time regardless of whether you want it to be on or not. The best way to control how you use it is to do it manually and on demand. Less faff only applies to the lazy.

Was trying to add a note of caution - I deliberately didn't quote your post, as I didn't want it to be seen as an attack.

This is how urban myths start:

Incorrect.

True it is more efficient, also true is you can heat up three or four times the volume for the same price using gas.

That is not the best way, it is a way. The best way is to use available technology properly, calling people lazy for using a timer is ridiculous. Would you say people who use a thermostat are lazy too.

Edited by fools

3 minutes ago, fools said:

That is not the best way, it is a way. The best way is to use available technology properly, calling people lazy for using a timer is ridiculous. Would you say people who use a thermostat are lazy too.

When people say less faff what they are really saying is they can't be bothered but again I suppose it depends on what you actually meant by faff.  If people want to use a timer then in a lot of situations it may be better for them doing it that way especially for the old or disabled.