How Are You Preparing For Future Price Hikes?

2 hours ago, fools said:

This thread is about saving money, gas is cheaper than electricity per kwh, largely because much of the electricity is generated from gas, miles away, so the arguments about efficiency and pollution are redundant.

The arguments about pollution maybe somewhat but the arguments about efficiency are not. It's one of the reasons why people were advised to change their old inefficient boilers to more efficient combi boilers. More efficient means less gas is used, less gas used means it cheaper. More insulation means less usable heat is lost, the less heat is lost the cheaper it becomes to run with gas or electricity.

IIRC only around 30% of our electricity is generated by gas and that can be much less and even zero at times when solar and wind kick in.

Edited by Dromedary

I’m interested in saving a few hundred quid, not the odd few pence, and this means home heating costs. I reckon that knocking my room stat down to 18 from 20 and wearing a light fleeced top over my usual polo shirt will go a long way towards this.

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

The arguments about pollution maybe somewhat but the arguments about efficiency are not. It's one of the reasons why people were advised to change their old inefficient boilers to more efficient combi boilers. More efficient means less gas is used, less gas used means it cheaper. More insulation means less usable heat is lost, the less heat is lost the cheaper it becomes to run with gas or electricity.

IIRC only around 30% of our electricity is generated by gas and that can be much less and even zero at times when solar and wind kick in.

You are claiming the efficiency of electricity trumps the lower price of gas, it doesn't. Gas hob is a cheaper way to cook than an electric hob because electricity is 3.75 x the price of gas.

If you find a hot water tank with perfect insulation, that may be of interest, until that day arrives, it's a diversion from the point.

45% currently, more when the wind drops.

Misinformation doesn't help anyone. Surprised the old chestnut about slow cookers using less energy than an electric bulb hasn't popped up yet.

Edited by fools

13 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I could do with a neighbor like Silam Case (yeah, I howled when you explained the name. Funniest thing I've heard in ages😁

Cheers for the lime tip. I'll definitely ok into getting some as my garden needs all the help it can get. As a very new gardener I'm quickly realizing I know very little but it's great to learn new things so thanks for that.

One thing I have learned though. Pumpkin plants grow incredibly easy and they get massive. Being unsure as to what grows and what dosent I planted about 20 Pumpkin seeds thinking only a few will grow.

Oh how wrong I was. I've got LOADS!!! 🙄

I might end up giving a few away so if you're interested just let me know 🙏

My God that gave me a giggle 🤣

Looks a good size though if you don't mind me say 😁

Where I am, we have the legacy of 400 years, or so of human intervention with the natural tropical growth. They gradually culled the non useful species and favored productive ones, fruit bearing, and decoratve, so that mangos in at least 4 varieties grow wild, and are basically free for the picking, they fall into the streets, as are coconuts. Bananas of every kind require more care, but they are almost free, too. Same with eggs. Everybody outside the cities grow something in their back yards and little market gardens that they trade for other stuff they need.

The hillside farm villages are vitually self sufficient, what with a cow for milk, a pig to roast, and chickens everywhere. Everybody of all ages in the family chips in to help.  Some foreign do gooders who live in their world of hate and war, and insist they know what's best for everybody, see it as child labor, but here, it's a healthy and happy education, in productive life skills, and independence.

Shrubs are all blooming types, and even the bigger trees have colorful blossoms. Nothing is wasted, They have no hardwoods here, so they have practiced the ancient art of coppicing and pollarding, and dried thatched palm leaves make a roof impermeable to all but the worst tropical rains.

It's nature lovers paradise, and we don't have to prepare for sticker shock at the local market. (Unless you insist on imported stuff like Heinz ketchup, or chemical shampoos and scented soaps). They have aloes and local remedies for simple ailments.

We buy only fresh every day, and cook at home.

With no vehicle needed, and a shower in likewarm water, you can have an almost zero carbon footprint.

I just hope the know it alls with their massive carbon footprints, will find a way to stop hating and killing each other, before they try impose their own dysfunctional lifestyles on the rest of the world.

Dependence is slavery!

Edited by trastrick
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dromedary said:

I worked out that if we changed to a combo boiler it would take about 10 years before we started saving money when taking into consideration the changeover costs.

11 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I worked out that if we changed to a combo boiler it would take about 10 years before we started saving money when taking into consideration the changeover costs.

Be lucky if it lasts 10 years, far more things to go wrong.

Expected savings proclaimed by quangos and vested interests are mostly hot air, heat pumps will be the next fiasco.

I bought a TV with an A+ energy efficiency sticker on claiming 45w .. measured it out of the box, 87w, turn the sound and brightness up it goes over 100w.

On 27/06/2022 at 14:03, crookesey said:

You can’t plan for the unknown, I suggest setting your room stat this winter at a lower but acceptable temperature and using less car fuel.

But I'm not planning for the unknown. I'm planning for what's coming.