Road Closures- Women's Euros

9 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Why none at Hillsborough?

Two grounds in Sheffield were never going to be used. Frankly its baffling they are also using one in Rotherham only 8 miles or so down the road, but there we are. 

Assume grounds expressed an interest in the first place, its how it usually works.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I live in Ecclesfield & in common with 98% of the populous I'll be unaffected by it - but I'll still raise my wizened fist & shout grrrrrr because no-one has been to my house & asked  me personally how it would affect my life for a few hours one day in a lifetime 

So; grrrrrr, shakes wizened fist

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Why none at Hillsborough?

Hillsborough put an application of interest in but was turned dawn as the facilities at Hillsborough are not up too standard. In the close season between championship and the 2 seasons in the premiership SUFC spent a lot of money behind the scenes, changing rooms, Hospitality etc. 

Guest busdriver1
17 hours ago, Baron99 said:

They don't close the roads around BDTBL even for a Sheffield derby.

And what is BDTBL ?

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

If people actually bothered to look, one of the biggest reasons for the road closures is so they can undertake the traditional fan walk that comes with these tournaments. There is going to be massive gatherings in Devonshire Green where the fan parties and other activities are taking place which will then turn into several thousand people trotting on foot down to Bramall Lane.

Are we sure about that ?

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Are we sure about that ?

Don't know but according to Dutch website there are 2500 girls coming to Sheffield for this game. Have seen some of them cycling round center yesterday.

Football grounds, sports stadiums and other event venues control, divert or block off traffic all the time. You might want to dismiss it as health and safety gone mad but it is sensible. The venues, the stewards, the local authority, the police all have a duty of care.

We are not in the 1900s anymore. You need to wise up to the modern world. Accidents and injuries are no longer dealt with by someone shrugging their shoulders and self-pitying. Its dealt with by finger pointing, negligence investigations and litigation.

Are you talking 1910 ?

Or 1990 ?

1990 was perfectly safe as far as I am concerned and they didn't shut Penistone Rd outside Hillsborough then.

No, it's the march of H&S overkill : " we will impose any edict (no matter how inconvenient or costly) if it could theoretically save a life sometime".

Note, that's theoretically, how many people got killed by traffic outside Hillsborough football ground between 1970 and 2000 ?

Does anyone know ? 

A - More than 30

B - 20 to 29

C - 10 to 19

D - 2 to 9

E - 1

F - None

It's disproportionate BS.

4 minutes ago, dutch said:

Don't know but according to Dutch website there are 2500 girls coming to Sheffield for this game. Have seen some of them cycling round center yesterday.

Did they cycle all the way ?

Do they realise we have hills in Yorkshire ?

Can't be such a "recent brainwave" because they closed part of the road when I went to matches  over 20 years ago.  

As far as I can remember they only shut Leppings lane, and for only a brief period at the end of the match. Plus they closed the inside lane on the Penistone Rd dual carriageway. I can cope with that, the latter particularly.

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Are you talking 1910 ?

Or 1990 ?

1990 was perfectly safe as far as I am concerned and they didn't shut Penistone Rd outside Hillsborough then.

No, it's the march of H&S overkill : " we will impose any edict (no matter how inconvenient or costly) if it could theoretically save a life sometime".

Note, that's theoretically, how many people got killed by traffic outside Hillsborough football ground between 1970 and 2000 ?

Does anyone know ? 

A - More than 30

B - 20 to 29

C - 10 to 19

D - 2 to 9

E - 1

F - None

It's disproportionate BS.

Did they cycle all the way ?

Do they realise we have hills in Yorkshire ?

These were young Dutch girls on rental cycles and did not seem focused on where they were going. They did stop to take photos by the water art changed to a football between winter and peace garden then raced off. There were lots of Swedish fan by Victoria quays.

Edited by dutch

My god there’s some happy sods on here! Bet ones great fun at parties….” Ah remember when’s ale were threpence a pint and you dint have to wear a mask”

get a life it’s not the end of the world as some of us prefer to try and create a welcoming atmosphere for them euro folk

so what if I can’t drive st Mary’s gate for a couple of hours cos there’s a traditional fans walk from Devonshire green . Stay at home and make garbled comments on an Internet forum as usual

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

One tandem is usually enough for United's fans.  😆

At least we can offord a tandem.  Ours has  not been confiscated for a unicycle by the FA because of shifty dealings by our chairman, who has no doubt took the unicycle then sold it on to another company, owned by himself, only to rent it back to himself at an inflated price. 

One wonders how much the chairman of the 3rd Division club is charging the supporters to sit on the 3rd Division unicycle this year?  Rhetorical question.  It's more than sitting on a Championship tandem. 

The words, "Pipe & smoke it" suddenly come to mind. 

Anyway, back to the thread. 

Edited by Baron99