Road Closures- Women's Euros

12 hours ago, sibon said:

I think that United have similar provision. They close roads as and when needed, but no more than necessary.

I’ve always found the security guys to be more than helpful.

According to the signs I have seen though S't  Marys Gate is being closed as well which has never happened before except, I think, for when the Bruce Springsteen concert and the Billy Graham speech were on.

On 03/07/2022 at 16:50, Jeffrey Shaw said:

See SCC's website more more details

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKSHEFFIELD/bulletins/31e97e5

but, in short, there may be closures 1200-2400hrs around the Bramall Lane area and possibly the A61 Ring Road.

Games take place during July 2022 as follows:

Sat 9th at 2000hrs

W 13th at 1700hrs

Su 17th at 1700hrs

Tu 26th at 2000hrs

It's typical a modern over reaction, H&S overkill. Utterly  ludicrous disproportionate nonsense that will inconvenience literally thousand of people for very little reason.

Even if there were an argument for shutting the roads for 20 min after the end of the game (and that's debatable, they never used to do that at H/B or B/L for about a hundred years...), there is no argument whatsoever for shutting the roads for so long, even when the soddin' game is on !

Madness.

PS are the games even going to be that well attended ?

Jesus Christ this place does my nut sometimes. 

Waaa waaaa waaa the city never does anything, this city is always overlooked, why do we never get any good events, why does everything go to Leeds and Manchester....

Waaaa waaaa waaa the council are stupid, it's all a big waste, nobody is going to go, what's the point, how dare I be mildly inconvenienced, why can't it go somewhere else.....

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Waaa waaaa waaa the city never does anything, this city is always overlooked, why do we never get any good events, why does everything go to Leeds and Manchester....

Waaaa waaaa waaa the council are stupid, it's all a big waste, nobody is going to go, what's the point, how dare I be mildly inconvenienced, why can't it go somewhere else.....

I certainly dont have any issue with international events coming to the city, fair play. I just dont see how a game of football that is likely to have less than 10k people at it (going off last nights attendance at Southampton that had Northern Ireland playing) neccesitates a 5 hour (?) partial closure of a major ring road.  

Shutting Bramall Lane: fair enough, that happens all the time on a matchday.

Edited by HeHasRisen

They don't close the roads around BDTBL even for a Sheffield derby. Only thing I can think of its an encompassing set of times to cover all the games at BDTBL, including a semi-final when presumably, it'll be a full house of around 31,000+, give or take any restrictions. 

It was noticible that Old Trafford the other night, most of the crowd appeared to be in early, (unlike many football grounds up & down the country with mainly blokes attending & still in the pub at 14:50 for a 3pm kick-off), so more people will probably be milling around the surrounding streets earlier. 

It was also noticible, that there wasn't the usual mad dash to get out of Old Trafford the other night either.  The crowd appeared to linger longer, therefore roads around the grounds will probably need to be closed much longer after a match. 

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The point is, in a sensible proportionate world, there would be no reason to inconvenience anyone.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

They don't close the roads around BDTBL even for a Sheffield derby. Only thing I can think of its an encompassing set of times to cover all the games at BDTBL, including a semi-final when presumably, it'll be a full house of around 31,000+, give or take any restrictions. 

It was noticible that Old Trafford the other night, most of the crowd appeared to be in early, (unlike many football grounds up & down the country with mainly blokes attending & still in the pub at 14:50 for a 3pm kick-off), so more people will probably be milling around the surrounding streets earlier. 

It was also noticible, that there wasn't the usual mad dash to get out of Old Trafford the other night either.  The crowd appeared to linger longer, therefore roads around the grounds will probably need to be closed much longer after a match. 

I used to live near Hillsborough football ground. Shutting the roads whilst the match is actually on, esp PenistoneRd, is  a relatively recent "brainwave". There is no need for it, it is inconveniencing thousands of people for little benefit. All in the name of "you can't be too careful", and, "safety comes first" and all that cobblers. But actually you can be too  careful because there is almost always a cost to being careful, so it's a balancing act cost and/or inconvenience v benefit, and the latter should be defined precisely. Just saying "it will be safer" by some indefinable amount (so that's reason enough is not acceptable.

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The point is, in a sensible proportionate world, there would be no reason to inconvenience anyone.

Don't be so ridiculous. You can't host a major sporting event in the middle of the city without some form of disruption to someone.

Most sensible and proportionate people understand that. If you're going to use the 'P' word let's get this into reality. It is a small handful of occasions when there will be temporary road closures.  It's hardly some long-standing  arrangement which is going to frequently ruin people's lives.

If people actually bothered to look, one of the biggest reasons for the road closures is so they can undertake the traditional fan walk that comes with these tournaments. There is going to be massive gatherings in Devonshire Green where the fan parties and other activities are taking place which will then turn into several thousand people trotting on foot down to Bramall Lane.

It is therefore more than an sensible thing to do, to be temporarily closing and divert traffic away from the  main road which cuts through that walk route. 

Goodness sake we have have a multitude of running races and other such which frequently close or disrupt roads throughout the year - but people manage to cope.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I used to live near Hillsborough football ground. Shutting the roads whilst the match is actually on, esp PenistoneRd, is  a relatively recent "brainwave". There is no need for it, it is inconveniencing thousands of people for little benefit. All in the name of "you can't be too careful", and, "safety comes first" and all that cobblers. But actually you can be too  careful because there is almost always a cost to being careful, so it's a balancing act cost and/or inconvenience v benefit, and the latter should be defined precisely. Just saying "it will be safer" by some indefinable amount (so that's reason enough is not acceptable.

Can't be such a "recent brainwave" because they closed part of the road when I went to matches  over 20 years ago.  

Football grounds, sports stadiums and other event venues control, divert or block off traffic all the time. You might want to dismiss it as health and safety gone mad but it is sensible. The venues, the stewards, the local authority, the police all have a duty of care.

We are not in the 1900s anymore. You need to wise up to the modern world. Accidents and injuries are no longer dealt with by someone shrugging their shoulders and self-pitying. Its dealt with by finger pointing, negligence investigations and litigation.

There are 4 games scheduled to be played at Bramhall lane. 2 kick off at 2000. The other 2, one on a Sunday kicks off at 1700. Before the game the only issue I can see are the fans walking down from Devonshire great approx an hour before kick off. So either 1900 or 1600. The main issues will be after the game when upto 25000 will be leaving the stadium at the same time. If you watch the games a lot of the supporters are children. How many people on here will be "put out" at 2200 on either a Saturday or Sunday night. I totally understand the annoyance for the Wednesday afternoon game at 1700 but you have a week to arrange another route. Even longer for the semi final game.