You Aren't Able Bodied, You Are Non Disabled.

1 minute ago, zach said:

At you?

I was talking about the link, not you. That's why I said "The link in the OPs thread" and didn't say, the OP...

My apologies.  I read it wrong.

Rough day but no excuse 🙏

5 minutes ago, Hecate said:

This daft old boswellox again. It's been a thing since at least the 80s, when folk frothed about teachers not being able to use the word 'blackboard'.  Did they mention manhole covers?  I must admit I skimmed.

University course content needing trigger warnings is ridiculous though, and debate is being shut down in academia.  Students should be uncomfortable and challenged at university, as their ideas are picked apart and criticised and they're exposed to others' ideas for them to do likewise. 

I agree with much of this.

The probability is some well meaning, but other worldly people at a University want to try to be inclusive, but end up looking rather silly.

I do wonder though, what with these 'culture wars' that the likes of the Daily Mail want to ignite, whether the disabled charity SCOPE would have been in for the same lampooning because they no longer wanted to be called The Spastic Society, because of cruel name calling spaz, spacker etc. 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

As with the supposed 'furore' over banks giving staff the option to have preferred pronouns on name badges, people should be referred to in a manner they feel comfortable with.

I think the Daily Mail should invest in quality journalism.

Technically, it should be the "Six out of Seven Days Mail"

16 hours ago, Hecate said:

This daft old boswellox again. It's been a thing since at least the 80s, when folk frothed about teachers not being able to use the word 'blackboard'.  Did they mention manhole covers?  I must admit I skimmed.

University course content needing trigger warnings is ridiculous though, and debate is being shut down in academia.  Students should be uncomfortable and challenged at university, as their ideas are picked apart and criticised and they're exposed to others' ideas for them to do likewise. 

I also agree with most of this.

My one point is this: Language and words are important. They express ideas and create ways of thinking that sticks in the mind ...

I don't mean the 'blackboard' rubbish ( I worked in schools for twenty years and never heard of it being disallowed - maybe the fact that blackboards were replaced with more functional white boards led to the rumour...) 

For example, I prefer 'differently abled' for disabled, because while things have moved on and improved, there is still a long way to go. More adaptations to make. There are also many levels, of many different abilities, so they are indeed all differently abled.

But, they are often still disadvantaged in many respects and that needs work.

As for 'trigger warnings' for students etc, if they're bright enough to get to University they should be able to cope with life, and that includes past references, different cultures, and old ideas. It should just remind them that we've come a long way.   

Edited by Anna B

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

My one point is this: Language and words are important. They express ideas and create ways of thinking that sticks in the mind ...

I don't mean the 'blackboard' rubbish ( I worked in schools for twenty years and never heard of it being disallowed - maybe the fact that blackboards were replaced with more functional white boards led to the rumour...) 

For example, I prefer 'differently abled' for disabled, because while things have moved on and improved, there is still a long way to go. More adaptations to make. There are also many levels, of many different abilities, so they are indeed all differently abled.

As for 'trigger warnings' for students etc, if they're bright enough to get to University they should be able to cope with life, and that includes past references, different cultures, and old ideas. It should just remind them that we've come a long way. 

There's indeed a long way to go Anna. Government literature is rife with such terms as "disabilty" benefits.

Then there's the Classic Literature to deal with.

All need cleaning up.

Maybe we will get the "King Charles Versions" in the school, one day!

I was reading an old Ripping Yarns book from my childhood the other day, and there was this guy, Harry, who was always ejaculating. 

"That's one more clue!", Harry ejaculated!

Let's  hope to goddess it doesn't go too far! :)

21 minutes ago, trastrick said:

There's indeed a long way to go Anna. Government literature is rife with such terms as "disabilty" benefits.

Then there's the Classic Literature to deal with.

All need cleaning up.

Maybe we will get the "King Charles Versions" in the school, one day!

I was reading an old Ripping Yarns book from my childhood the other day, and there was this guy, Harry, who was always ejaculating. 

"That's one more clue!", Harry ejaculated!

Let's  hope to goddess it doesn't go too far! :)

We need more of Michael Palin's outragious but funny 'Ripping Yarns.'

They make the point, but in a way most 'normal' people can't take offence at. 

(Wait for it....)

I also have a book of polically correct fairy tales. It's hillarious.

Humour does more to point up the absurd than ranting ever did.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Are you allowed to call them   " whiteboards " ?