Milk And Freezing It

According to the Co-op, many people don't know that you can keep milk longer by freezing it.

I did know that, although I don't think that it applies to full-fat milk. I freeze skimmed milk.

But is the Co-op also correct that it shouldn't be frozen in excess of a month- and, if so, why not?

SF members usually know everything, of course, so I thought that I'd ask and find out.

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

According to the Co-op, many people don't know that you can keep milk longer by freezing it.

I did know that, although I don't think that it applies to full-fat milk. I freeze skimmed milk.

But is the Co-op also correct that it shouldn't be frozen in excess of a month- and, if so, why not?

SF members usually know everything, of course, so I thought that I'd ask and find out.

I regularly freeze milk.. I'd say the longest I've frozen it was 6 months or so. Apparently it's best to only freeze it for a month but I've safely frozen it for much longer.

Guest sibon

I stick a pint in the freezer before I go on holiday. There’s nothing worse than getting home after a long journey to find that you can’t have a cuppa.

36 minutes ago, sibon said:

I stick a pint in the freezer before I go on holiday. There’s nothing worse than getting home after a long journey to find that you can’t have a cuppa.

Why mess about freezing the milk, just freeze a cup of tea, so when you come back from your hols you will have a cup of ice tea ready and waiting. :hihi:

52 minutes ago, sibon said:

How long does it take to thaw . Surely it would be quicker to nip to shop 

Guest sibon
18 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Why mess about freezing the milk, just freeze a cup of tea, so when you come back from your hols you will have a cup of ice tea ready and waiting. :hihi:

You are an absolute genius.

In fact, you’ve given me an idea. I could freeze a thermos full of tea, then it would still be hot when I defrosted it.

Most fatty foods are perfectly safe to freeze at -20 for several months. 

However many fats and oils can chemically change affecting the flavour greatly- full fat milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, bacon, meats, oily fish etc.

Many foods will also lose moisture -this appears as frost on the inside of the packaging-this affects taste and texture.

We always have small frozen skimmed milk cartons and thaw them in cold water, and I am assured that it tastes fine in cereal even after several months.

Don't freeze rice for more than a month.