Milk And Freezing It

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

I sometimes freeze cheese, although I have bought cheddar and it has said on the packaging not suitable for freezing.

Many high fat product(like Cheddar) manufactures do no recommend freezing because of possible changes that take place to flavour and texture which customers might complain about.

Some cheeses which have opened could harbour some dodgy microbes.

I remember by dad freezing cheese sometimes but it had a strange texture after defrosting and I thought it spoilt the flavour.  
I also remember milk being frozen but of course the bottles expanded and then it got a bit messy defrosting them. There always seemed to be lingering chunks of frozen milk in the bottles that seemed to take forever to defrost.  So I wouldn’t bother freezing milk personally and would get longlife milk instead if I wanted to store it.

Guest sibon
3 hours ago, redruby said:

I remember by dad freezing cheese sometimes but it had a strange texture after defrosting and I thought it spoilt the flavour.  

Stilton freezes beautifully. I’m not so keen on frozen cheddar though.

20 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How long does it take to thaw .

Depends on ambient temperature. Less than 4-5hrs at the moment; could take a day or so, if it defrosts in the refrigerator.

BUT back to post #1. Why does the Co-op demur at milk being frozen for > 1 month?

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Depends on ambient temperature. Less than 4-5hrs at the moment; could take a day or so, if it defrosts in the refrigerator.

BUT back to post #1. Why does the Co-op demur at milk being frozen for > 1 month?

After a month it's no longer at its best perhaps?

The reason for my doubts re the Co-op's view is that I've been defrosting milk** for many years and rarely find that it's gone off.

When it has, that's usually because I forgot to use the fast-freeze thing.

[** No, not the same litre over and over again- before anyone makes the joke that I would have made!]

Late to the party, and I haven't re-read the whole topic, but I freeze 1.1/2 - 2pts if I have misjudged my purchase schedule before going away for two or three weeks, and apart from the ~15 hour full-defrost time, never have a problem. I do know someone who regularly freezes 2 x 4pt bottles, but again, they come out of the freezer within a couple of weeks, again with no adverse effects.