Doncaster Sheffield Airport Could Permanently Close

I am so disappointed to hear the news this week as I have flown from DSA several times in the past and it would always have been my airport of choice. The small size of the airport, which was attractive to me and many others, would however probably have been viewed as a negative factor by the likes of Easyjet, Jet2, Ryanair etc who probably just did not view it as large enough to meet their volume of passengers,  Maybe the airport was also not willing or able to offer the kind of terms demanded by the big boys in a competitive industry.  TUI will probably back out of DSA next as they have severe unrelated problems from the look of it anyway. Very sad for people in the catchment areas of Doncaster, Sheffield, and Rotherham who will now have no regional airport and be forced to use East Midlands  (the next best of the bunch in my opinion),  the dreaded Manchester, or Leeds Bradford.

We have always wanted to use DSA but generally fly (or flew...) Jet2 who do not use it.

It is rather ironic it may be shutting just as access to it (via the expensive new road from the M18) is open !

I wonder how much of this has got to do with the travel restrictions over the Pandemic ? We used to fly twice a year or so but still haven't flown since the start of all this. I just want  a normal "2019" carry on, both on the journey and when we get where ever we're going.

Lastly, isn't Wizz Air largely for travel to Eastern Europe ? And as such has Brexit had a negative effect ?

Edited by Chekhov

This sad and not necessary 

the rising number of customers saying they will not use Manchester again surely is an Avenue to explore? Personally I finished with Manchester pre covid and after being treated like cattle will never go back

leeds is also going downhill and any commercially thinking organisation should be looking to tap into that catchment area etc

east midlands is fine presently but will suffer through increased numbers deserting elsewhere

17 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

This sad and not necessary 

the rising number of customers saying they will not use Manchester again surely is an Avenue to explore? Personally I finished with Manchester pre covid and after being treated like cattle will never go back

leeds is also going downhill and any commercially thinking organisation should be looking to tap into that catchment area etc

east midlands is fine presently but will suffer through increased numbers deserting elsewhere

Leeds Bradford is an absolute ball ache to get to.....

In fact Manchester is  a bit too, involving that nightmare "get in the right lane and have loads of cars pushing in at the top" going up Mottram Moor. The same thing happens at that roundabout at the end of the M67 on the way back, when it's busy people just get in the empty right hand lane then go all the way round the roundabout to cut in at the front. Absolute nightmare, worst junctions in the country. Though they are, finally, supposed to be putting in a bypass, just in time for the Manchster congestion charge !!

No, DSA was the easiest, followed by EM.

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Leeds Bradford is an absolute ball ache to get to.....

In fact Manchester is  a bit too, involving that nightmare "get in the right lane and have loads of cars pushing in at the top" going up Mottram Moor. The same thing happens at that roundabout at the end of the M67 on the way back, when it's busy people just get in the empty right hand lane then go all the way round the roundabout to cut in at the front. Absolute nightmare, worst junctions in the country. Though they are, finally, supposed to be putting in a bypass, just in time for the Manchster congestion charge !!

I havent gone that way to Manchester for years, for that very reason, so you are doing it wrong.

Go out of town via Abbeydale, turn left before Hathersage, drop down to Calver, turn right and head to the A6 via Sparrowpit and access the airport via the new Eastern Link Rd. Much less hassle than going through Glossop and surrounding areas.

35 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Lastly, isn't Wizz Air largely for travel to Eastern Europe ? And as such has Brexit had a negative effect ?

Wizz Air based a plane at DSA a couple of years ago for travel to more "traditional" destinations. They pulled that plane out of the airport last month citing a disagreement with management, the only Wizzair flights now at DSA are ones that return to Eastern European bases and so the flights are generally between 7-9 at night.

Edited by HeHasRisen