Doncaster Sheffield Airport Could Permanently Close

21 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Why would anyone? 

Because as airports go it's quite civilised. Much better than the Manchester cattle market.

We have used it a few times and will miss it. In the past we have chosen different holiday destinations rather than fly from Manchester.

East Midlands is not a bad second choice.

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

Because as airports go it's quite civilised. Much better than the Manchester cattle market.

We have used it a few times and will miss it. In the past we have chosen different holiday destinations rather than fly from Manchester.

East Midlands is not a bad second choice.

But that's the problem.  

Everyone is raving about how 'civilised' ie quiet and calm it is compared to others but that's because it has a fraction of the passenger flow and flights.   Empty airports don't make money.

All the politicos and Twitterati are banging on about how much of the success it COULD be however, the more flights, the more passengers, the more queues, the more crowds, the more chaos.... suddenly everyone would still be moaning about how "bad it's become".

Can't have it both ways.  

If one wants quiet, calm, exclusive, preferential treatment it comes at a cost.  Otherwise airlines are simply operating maximum numbers for minimum staffing and smallest outlay.  It's business and DSA was a failing one. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

Humberside airport seems to manage okay with about 10% of the number of passengers DSA has. I just looked and Humberside only has 7 destinations, I know they used to fly to Turkey a few years ago, now the farthest destinations are Palma and Bourgas, Bulgaria.

Passenger numbers for 2021. Taken from Wikipedias List of busiest airports in the United Kingdom.

Humberside 31,534 passengers

Doncaster      309,512 passengers 

Edited by iansheff

On 27/09/2022 at 10:38, HeHasRisen said:

Luckily for us, Luton, Gatwick and Heathrow are all handily connected to Sheffield via 3 and 4 lane motorways and none involve going over minor mountain ranges. Chuck Stansted in too although that involves a fair bit of duals.

Gatwick is an absolute ball ache to get to, and Heathrow isn't much better. I don't quite understand why you imply getting to either of those is easier than Stanstead

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Gatwick is an absolute ball ache to get to, and Heathrow isn't much better. I don't quite understand why you imply getting to either of those is easier than Stanstead

Im not. I just didnt want a pedant to come in and say it wasnt all 3 or 4 lane motorways to get there. Hence I bundled it in at the end.

For the record Stansted is great, at least it was last time I used it. Would happily go there instead of Manchester. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Humberside airport seems to manage okay with about 10% of the number of passengers DSA has. I just looked and Humberside only has 7 destinations, I know they used to fly to Turkey a few years ago, now the farthest destinations are Palma and Bourgas, Bulgaria.

Passenger numbers for 2021. Taken from Wikipedias List of busiest airports in the United Kingdom.

Humberside 31,534 passengers

Doncaster      309,512 passengers 

Humberside was a casualty of DSA and the folks from East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire are hoping that gets reversed after the closure of DSA

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Im not. I just didnt want a pedant to come in and say it wasnt all 3 or 4 lane motorways to get there. Hence I bundled it in at the end.

For the record Stansted is great, at least it was last time I used it. Would happily go there instead of Manchester. 

Stansteads the worst of the London Airports to get to from London (centre) Roads are not good and the rail link leaves from the "wrong" side of town. 

6 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Humberside was a casualty of DSA and the folks from East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire are hoping that gets reversed after the closure of DSA

Stansteads the worst of the London Airports to get to from London (centre) Roads are not good and the rail link leaves from the "wrong" side of town. 

Luckily I dont live in London ;)

39 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Stanstead Express goes from Liverpool St which isn't far from the centre of London.