Doncaster Sheffield Airport Could Permanently Close

On 14/07/2022 at 17:30, LovePotion said:

There are also Ranger tickets that can help you save and also offer flexible travel for most* of the day. A Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket costs around £15 per person and could be used from Sheffield to Long Eaton and then you could buy a ticket from Long Eaton to East Midlands Parkway (only one short stop, be around £3). There is also a Group variant for around £25 which allows two adults to travel most of the day.

The Derbyshire Wayfarer is valid on the train(after 9 00 am M-F from Sheffield to Derby and Long Eaton and on the buses to the airport(£13.70 and £6.70 people aged over 60 ID needed).

15 hours ago, RollingJ said:

You really are a ray of sunshine, Anna.

I'm saying we need a major Northern International Airport this side of the Pennines (and cross rail and road links) as part of a levelling up infrastructure. Sheffield/Doncaster is the only one with the space, runways and potential to achieve this.

Until we get it 'Levelling up' is just a joke.

Edited by Anna B

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm saying we need a major Northern International Airport this side of the Pennines (and cross rail and road links) as part of a levelling up infrastructure. Sheffield/Doncaster is the only one with the space, runways and potential to achieve this.

You never mentioned any of that in the post I replied to - but I'm used to your antics, so I probably should have assumed you would forget what you wrote and try and twist it.

29 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You never mentioned any of that in the post I replied to - but I'm used to your antics, so I probably should have assumed you would forget what you wrote and try and twist it.

I've already mentioned it many times. No antics, no twists.

You need to read this thread.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Why exactly do we need one?  I think its more than a reasonable suggestion that if there was  such a pressing and necessary demand it wouldn't be failing

Where is the surge of passengers going to come from every single day to make it it sufficiently commercially viable?   What exactly is so lacking which is not more than already and better covered by other airport operations within a short radius? Where are all these Airlines desperately, waiting, queueing up, ready to move in to start operations going to come from?  How is the long-term trend for jet travel predicted over the next few decades? What is the market shift going to be? How will the future developments in travel and technology affect the long-term viability of such a airport?  

It's really not that simple as some childish approach to "...I want therefore I have.."

Yes I agree that there should be more levelling up of the northern regions but it has to be done properly.  'levelling up' is sod all to do with whether we keep a failing budget airport or not. For goodness sake it is far more nuanced and complex. It has to take into consideration the blindingly obvious fact of where wealth is located, where private corporations want to be operating, where the biggest areas of population are located, what those local people actually need in their areas (very different from just fulfiling their vanity projects or deluded pipedreams).  Finally, and most importantly in my opinion, whatever infrastructure, facility, operation or service does get built, it has to be something that the local people will be prepared to use frequently with sufficient spending of their own money in.

Incientally, given the constant put downs, critiques and whinging which take place on here every time any new infrastructure project, commerce, stores, operation or building is announced, one has to question whether any 'levelling up' would even be appreciated if it does get built around here.   

Fancy shops open =  it's all too expensive. It's just the same stuff as Primark and Poundland

New distribution/industrial park gets built = wouldn't get out of bed for those jobs......

New housing development gets built = just cheap tacky boxes for Poshos with more money than sense....

New leisure facilities get built = who's gonna pay that for a pint?  I'm not eating all that silly hipster food....

New Road network gets built =  How dare you be killing the planet! Cars are evil!

New rail network gets built = think of the trees! How dare my village/street/town be inconvenienced all that construction disruption! What a white elephant! Who wants to go there anyway?  The fares will all be expensive!

Round and round it goes.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why exactly do we need one?  I think its more than a reasonable suggestion that if there was  such a pressing and necessary demand it wouldn't be failing

Where is the surge of passengers going to come from every single day to make it it sufficiently commercially viable?   What exactly is so lacking which is not more than already and better covered by other airport operations within a short radius? Where are all these Airlines desperately, waiting, queueing up, ready to move in to start operations going to come from?  How is the long-term trend for jet travel predicted over the next few decades? What is the market shift going to be? How will the future developments in travel and technology affect the long-term viability of such a airport?  

It's really not that simple as some childish approach to "...I want therefore I have.."

Yes I agree that there should be more levelling up of the northern regions but it has to be done properly.  'levelling up' is sod all to do with whether we keep a failing budget airport or not. For goodness sake it is far more nuanced and complex. It has to take into consideration the blindingly obvious fact of where wealth is located, where private corporations want to be operating, where the biggest areas of population are located, what those local people actually need in their areas (very different from just fulfiling their vanity projects or deluded pipedreams).  Finally, and most importantly in my opinion, whatever infrastructure, facility, operation or service does get built, it has to be something that the local people will be prepared to use frequently with sufficient spending of their own money in.

Incientally, given the constant put downs, critiques and whinging which take place on here every time any new infrastructure project, commerce, stores, operation or building is announced, one has to question whether any 'levelling up' would even be appreciated if it does get built around here.   

Fancy shops open =  it's all too expensive. It's just the same stuff as Primark and Poundland

New distribution/industrial park gets built = wouldn't get out of bed for those jobs......

New housing development gets built = just cheap tacky boxes for Poshos with more money than sense....

New leisure facilities get built = who's gonna pay that for a pint?  I'm not eating all that silly hipster food....

New Road network gets built =  How dare you be killing the planet! Cars are evil!

New rail network gets built = think of the trees! How dare my village/street/town be inconvenienced all that construction disruption! What a white elephant! Who wants to go there anyway?  The fares will all be expensive!

Round and round it goes.

Who do you think you are? 

You come on here making sensible points......

Is there no end to this madness 🙂 

9 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Round and round it goes.

'Build it and they will come.'

Believe it or not, a lot of people live in the North of England. 

Heathrow Airport is at full capacity, and needs to expand.

Why not build a second Heathrow in the North? Business will follow. We have a ripe, ready made underused workforce, land to build and expand, and, with an international airport, road and rail links and a major port in Hull, we would have the ability to reach markets in Asia and the far east, South America, as well as Northern Europe. We would have the capacity to compliment / compete with London.     

One of the reasons the south east is full to bursting, house prices rising etc, is because International businessmen and investors  fly into Heathrow and never venture North of Watford. They've no idea what they're missing or the opportunities that exist in the North. We need something to entice them.

The BBC sent half of its workforce to Salford, built studios etc, and in spite of southerners  being very hesitant at first, it brought about the complete regeneration of that area and is thriving. Sheffield, so I'm told, is a digital hub with much expertise and talent. Film makers for companies such as HBO and the plethora of digital channels also need more digital craftsmen and space for studios and filmmaking / gaming facilities. They already use locations up here.  There are also new industries just developing, in ways we can't imagine. 

Even the government itself will soon be homeless and needs to relocate....

If we live in a global economy, we have to make it easier to attract investment.  

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Why not build a second Heathrow in the North? 

We have one. It's called Manchester Airport. 

It's a 40 mile drive away and has its own direct train routes from Sheffield, Meadowhall, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Dewsbury, and occasional ones stopping at little Dore station.  There is already future plans to link up the airport station with HS2 which could get passengers from the airport into the East Midlands in around 30 minutes or even as far down into Central London in less than an hour.

It is already well established with multiple long-haul routes into to North America, Canada, the Middle East and parts of Asia.  Just exactly how many and how frequently are us Northerners jetting off long haul to desperately require another large airport in the region?

As for the cheapo European package holiday flights once a year (which is what the vast majority of people around here will be travelling on) there is already a multitude of smaller airports in the region to cater for such need. All of them are within a short travelling radius from Sheffield.

I ask again, what exactly is so lacking that absolutely requires that South Yorkshire must also have its own Airport?    There are 25 passenger operational airports just in England alone. Yes some are bursting at the seams but there are others whose stats show they are averaging less than 100 passengers a day

Certainly on paper, that does not covince me we need to be building more airports in fact, it shows that we probably have far too many being used completely ineffectively. Spreading out the flights levels might be a more realistic solution but there will inevitably need to be trimming the fat of the obvious excessive and underused ones. At present, DSA seems ripe for that.

Edited by ECCOnoob