Doncaster Sheffield Airport Could Permanently Close

14 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

There are plans for an airport “parkway” rail station, see here.

It isn’t practical / economical to get it any closer.

I used to work on trains to and from the East Midlands Parkway station and it was seldom used by airline passengers, mainly Megabus customers. If the link bus at Leeds Airport parkway isn't reliable or frequent, the station will be a bottomless money pit.

24 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

There's not even a train line there, the nearest station is Horsforth. I find Birmingham Airport to be aptly located, East Midlands is also a pig to get to and it can take a while to get to Heathrow with the cross London traffic. Robin Hood airport has been neither use nor ornament from the get go, so it won't be missed.

I don't know why anyone would go to Leeds or East Midlands when Manchester is just an hour away  

52 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I don't know why anyone would go to Leeds or East Midlands when Manchester is just an hour away  

Especially from SW Sheffield, and more so now the link road from Stockport is open.

Having said that, I'm a very frequent business flyer and I've flown out of EM and Leeds in the past just because they had a particular route or time that worked.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

There are plans for an airport “parkway” rail station, see here.

It isn’t practical / economical to get it any closer.

I am sceptical if any "airport station" which needs a bus transfer is going to much used. The problem is people do not like having to change trains or buses, and, even worse, the buses would have to run very frequently which costs money.

Most people would not want to use the train anyway, particularly families going on holiday. Having to lug loads of suitcases is bad enough, but for us to use public tspt to get to LB airport would be impractical :

Walk to the bus stop > bus into the centre of Sheff > walk to train station > train into Leeds > train to the nearest station > transfer bus to the terminal

To most people that is too much hassle, and that's before one gets into the problems of advanced purchase ticket validity if the plane is delayed. Flexible tickets are even more expensive. Worse, if any of those modes of transport are late or cancelled the whole edifice falls down, so, to be on the safe side, you have to build in loads of contingency times, so it all takes even longer....

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

East Midlands is quick to get to (in fact I reckon of all the airports it's the quickest and most reliable for us to get to) but not Leeds Bradford, obviously.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Especially from SW Sheffield, and more so now the link road from Stockport is open.

Getting to Manchester airport, or indeed much of the NW side country would have much easier if they soddin' well got on and built the Mottram bypass. It is an absolute scandal that is still not up and running.

Surely even @Planner1 would admit that is needed.....

• 3 weeks later...

From another forum, a few days ago, regarding plans to reopen Donny International...

"Latest update, lease talks ongoing but positive progress being made. 8 expressions of interest submitted, 4 will be invited to submit formal tenders.

I can't reveal my source, but Vinci are definitely one."

32 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

From another forum, a few days ago, regarding plans to reopen Donny International...

"Latest update, lease talks ongoing but positive progress being made. 8 expressions of interest submitted, 4 will be invited to submit formal tenders.

I can't reveal my source, but Vinci are definitely one."

Doncaster Airport is definitely the best airport I've flown from.