Is It True You Need A Smart Phone To Go To The City Hall ?

Chekhov

• 3 months later...
On 24/07/2022 at 20:46, ECCOnoob said:

Seems to me like the only person causing additional inconvenience and restricting your freedoms is yourself.

What a self entitled tool you are.

Oh I do hope the modern world keeps progressing at pace and you get even more  barriers and petty inconveniences to have to deal with. Perhaps then the message might finally sink in and you will embrace change.

What a horribly unpleasant thing to say.

As I get older I find it increasingly difficult keeping up with change.

My memory is certainly not what it was, and I can only see it getting worse.  I have new tech which is far more complicated to understand than it used to be. Scammers add to the problems. I have friends, intelligent people of similar age, who find the same problems. The saying 'can't teach an old dog new tricks' springs to mind. Some simply can't cope at all and have all but given up. 

I can see the day coming when fit and able older people have to go into care homes not because they can't manage, but because our digital age is beyond them and they can't comply.  No quarter is given, and no choice. Not being able to operate with digitised government or council bodies is not a 'small inconvenience' and can result in frustration and major stress. 

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if much of the current mental ill-health is the result of our cold, faceless digital age. 

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I can see the day coming when fit and able older people have to go into care homes not because they can't manage, but because our digital age is beyond them and they can't comply. 

In my experience its more a case of stubbornness and people dont want to, rather than people actually being unable to.

I am a member of a group where this year they reverted to Bitcoin-only payments for membership. The process of doing this is a piece of cake yet there are a number of people who have decided to bail, and didnt even attempt to do it, a process which they could have been walked through.  In fact everyone who did feel some initial misgivings about doing it, and were then walked through it, all came back and felt silly about worrying in the first place and it was easy to do.

On 07/11/2022 at 12:57, Anna B said:

What a horribly unpleasant thing to say.

As I get older I find it increasingly difficult keeping up with change.

My memory is certainly not what it was, and I can only see it getting worse.  I have new tech which is far more complicated to understand than it used to be. Scammers add to the problems. I have friends, intelligent people of similar age, who find the same problems. The saying 'can't teach an old dog new tricks' springs to mind. Some simply can't cope at all and have all but given up. 

I can see the day coming when fit and able older people have to go into care homes not because they can't manage, but because our digital age is beyond them and they can't comply.  No quarter is given, and no choice. Not being able to operate with digitised government or council bodies is not a 'small inconvenience' and can result in frustration and major stress. 

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if much of the current mental ill-health is the result of our cold, faceless digital age. 

Do calm down Anna.  Firstly, go go back and read my post in context, it was a dramatic statement used as part of calling out a known troll on this forum.

Secondly, I am not buying your often insulting assumption that somehow our elderly population are technophobe dinosaurs who can't 'cope' with the adaptions of the modern digital society.  That is certainly not my experience as the vast majority of the 70 + I know are fully aware of how to use the online facilities of most businesses and embrace things like online banking and Amazon as much as someone in their 20s.   Even the couple of 80 + year olds have the basic concepts of using a smartphone and also have the common sense to ask for help from a friend, neighbour, relative, or even the business themselves as to how to do something if they didn't know.

The digital age is far from some new concept. The internet in people's homes has been commonplace for nearly 30 years.  Mobile telephones first arrived on the scene over 35 years ago.  The existence of some form of computer system has been present in most businesses for well over 40+ years.

There is not a pensioner on the planet whose not had some form of exposure to the digital world and been touched by the silicon chip for at least the last third of their lives.  As others have said, is it really not being able to cope with technology or unwillingness to choose to learn.

The ability for people to rock up at some utility company showroom to pay bills has gone to automatic bank payments or digital transfers....They coped.

Their pay packets stopped being handed out in little brown envelopes once a week in favour of monthly salary direct to their bank accounts...they coped.

The days of queueing up in a stuffy bank taking out wads of cash over the counter was replaced by the ability to obtain your cash 24-hours a day from a cashpoint machine..... They coped.

The changeover from writing out cheques to using plastic cards to pay for ones goods happened...they coped.

The procedure of signing credit card chits and printed receipts changed to use of chip and pin number systems... They coped.

Paper travel passes were replaced by contactless cards on board buses or automated ticket barriers.... They coped.

The days of television with two channels swapped over using a knob on the tv set was evolved into 4 channels changed over by the magic of a remote control and evolved again into hundreds of channels changed over using electronic program guides and scroll lists ....they coped.

Music was listened to through LPs twirling around on record players to be replaced by cassette tapes and multi-level hi-fi systems to be replaced by the CD to be replaced by portable MP3 players and now played through ones television just by shouting at a voice activated black box in the corner of the room....they coped.

Pensions and benefits changed from someone having to queue up at the post office counter into payments being made directly into to personal bank accounts....they coped.

The days of trotting down to a travel agent to book once holiday have been replaced by browsing the internet, through digital brochures, reading TripAdvisor reviews and booking online.....they coped.

The list goes on.

I feel you are putting down your fellow pensioners with your dramatic and inaccurate assumptions.  We all have the continual ability to adapt.  Something which people of all ages have done throughout their lives.

I think it's completely wrong to be stating that the digital age is somehow cold and faceless. Used right and fully embraced it can bring the world closer than we ever thought possible. It can keep those isolated connected in ways that would not have been feasible even 35 years ago. It can keep families together who may be split across the world at the click of a button. It can provide facilities to aid comfort, access and convenience to those who may be less mobile or even housebound.

Edited by ECCOnoob

15 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Do calm down Anna.  Firstly, go go back and read my post in context, it was a dramatic statement used as part of calling out a known troll on this forum.

Secondly, I am not buying your often insulting assumption that somehow our elderly population are technophobe dinosaurs who can't 'cope' with the adaptions of the modern digital society.  That is certainly not my experience as the vast majority of the 70 + I know are fully aware of how to use the online facilities of most businesses and embrace things like online banking and Amazon as much as someone in their 20s.   Even the couple of 80 + year olds have the basic concepts of using a smartphone and also have the common sense to ask for help from a friend, neighbour, relative, or even the business themselves as to how to do something if they didn't know.

The digital age is far from some new concept. The internet in people's homes has been commonplace for nearly 30 years.  Mobile telephones first arrived on the scene over 35 years ago.  The existence of some form of computer system has been present in most businesses for well over 40+ years.

There is not a pensioner on the planet whose not had some form of exposure to the digital world and been touched by the silicon chip for at least the last third of their lives.  As others have said, is it really not being able to cope with technology or unwillingness to choose to learn.

The ability for people to rock up at some utility company showroom to pay bills has gone to automatic bank payments or digital transfers....They coped.

Their pay packets stopped being handed out in little brown envelopes once a week in favour of monthly salary direct to their bank accounts...they coped.

The days of queueing up in a stuffy bank taking out wads of cash over the counter was replaced by the ability to obtain your cash 24-hours a day from a cashpoint machine..... They coped.

The changeover from writing out cheques to using plastic cards to pay for ones goods happened...they coped.

The procedure of signing credit card chits and printed receipts changed to use of chip and pin number systems... They coped.

Paper travel passes were replaced by contactless cards on board buses or automated ticket barriers.... They coped.

The days of television with two channels swapped over using a knob on the tv set was evolved into 4 channels changed over by the magic of a remote control and evolved again into hundreds of channels changed over using electronic program guides and scroll lists ....they coped.

Music was listened to through LPs twirling around on record players to be replaced by cassette tapes and multi-level hi-fi systems to be replaced by the CD to be replaced by portable MP3 players and now played through ones television just by shouting at a voice activated black box in the corner of the room....they coped.

Pensions and benefits changed from someone having to queue up at the post office counter into payments being made directly into to personal bank accounts....they coped.

The days of trotting down to a travel agent to book once holiday have been replaced by browsing the internet, through digital brochures, reading TripAdvisor reviews and booking online.....they coped.

The list goes on.

I feel you are putting down your fellow pensioners with your dramatic and inaccurate assumptions.  We all have the continual ability to adapt.  Something which people of all ages have done throughout their lives.

I think it's completely wrong to be stating that the digital age is somehow cold and faceless. Used right and fully embraced it can bring the world closer than we ever thought possible. It can keep those isolated connected in ways that would not have been feasible even 35 years ago. It can keep families together who may be split across the world at the click of a button. It can provide facilities to aid comfort, access and convenience to those who may be less mobile or even housebound.

Hmmm... :huh:

And the opinions and life experiences of those 'older and wiser' used to be respected by the younger generations!

That's no longer the case...

... but we'll cope! :hihi:

There was a point in time where the chall website clearly suggested that paper tickets would become a no-no. Other venues are also pushing digital ticketing -- which if you don't have a smartphone, is a little bit of a problem. Not having one is a sensible and valid decision, they are not being stubborn.

The box office seems to have opened up again, so maybe that condition has been relaxed.

Calling people trolls for asking a valid question is a bit much - your lengthy responses belittling anyone questioning any change, could also be seen as trolling

3 million people affected by fraud each year as a result of computerisation, they have to cope.

some of the change going on is ****, customer service is appalling, music and radio quality is mush, news is full of lies, it's turned swathes of the public into angry zombies.

as for modern tech enabling much more communication, doesn't seem to happen much on public transport, row upon row of lemmings staring at a screen.

The idea that you are a luddite because you don't want to pay in bitcoin is very bizarre, it makes you wonder what this group is, do they have something to hide.

• Like 1