Is It True You Need A Smart Phone To Go To The City Hall ?

Chekhov

24 minutes ago, fools said:

The idea that you are a luddite because you don't want to pay in bitcoin is very bizarre, it makes you wonder what this group is, do they have something to hide.

Its for payment of an IPTV service, so yes not legal. 

The fact remains people have left the group, and with it all TV channels under the sun for £65 a year, merely because they dont even want to try and do it, even with an admin holding their hand, a ridiculously easy process may I add. Literally go to a website, make a debit card purchase, and then transfer it over. Hardly a major challenge.

As Ecconoob says, people are left behind because they WON'T adjust, rather than CAN'T.

Also the pandemic would have been a very lonely time for millions of people if technology didnt exist, nobody can argue with that.

Besides, this whole thread is moot as the answer to the question in the thread title was "no".

Edited by HeHasRisen

You expect people to put their debit card details into a website running an illegal operation, which purportedly purchases bitcoin in order to evade the authorities. The refuseniks sound pretty smart to me - now they have time to enjoy the real world instead of staring at vacuous tv endlessly.

according to the news, fraudsters are now sticking up dodgy qr codes in car parks which have been forced down the cashless route - the lemmings who trust all new tech without question then put their card details into a fake website, and have their bank account emptied.

All this tech is reducing your freedoms, not making things better

Edited by fools

20 minutes ago, fools said:

You expect people to put their debit card details into a website running an illegal operation

Erm nope, the Coinbase website isnt illegal in the slightest. Neither is bitcoin. Try again.

If you dont understand how bitcoin works, thats fine, maybe you can learn something today.

Edited by HeHasRisen

32 minutes ago, fools said:

You expect people to put their debit card details into a website running an illegal operation, which purportedly purchases bitcoin in order to evade the authorities. The refuseniks sound pretty smart to me - now they have time to enjoy the real world instead of staring at vacuous tv endlessly.

according to the news, fraudsters are now sticking up dodgy qr codes in car parks which have been forced down the cashless route - the lemmings who trust all new tech without question then put their card details into a fake website, and have their bank account emptied.

All this tech is reducing your freedoms, not making things better

Yeah yeah yeah because nobody ever had their wallets nicked did they?  They never ever fell victim to giving away their money to fraudsters..  businesses never ever suffered any loss of their income through fake bank notes or or fraudulent currency did they?   There were no such thing back in the glorious days like con artists, confidence tricksters or postal scams...right?  

Horse crap it's reducing freedoms.   I can browse a range of products, choose from a range of prices and suppliers in countries all over the world.  I can communicate at the click of a button almost for free with people all over the planet. I can have some face-to-face contact with family members whenever I feel like it despite them living thousands of miles away. I can have lively debates with strangers on a multitude of topics on forums just like this one.  I can become engaged in media, entertainment, performance and arts from independent unknown performers throwing out their content on video platforms or social media.  I can learn and research and become informed from a range of sources in different jurisdictions..... 

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah yeah yeah because nobody ever had their wallets nicked did they?  They never ever fell victim to giving away their money to fraudsters..  businesses never ever suffered any loss of their income through fake bank notes or or fraudulent currency did they?   There were no such thing back in the glorious days like con artists, confidence tricksters or postal scans were they?  

A silly response

no1 crime in the country ... fraud

Edited by fools

8 minutes ago, fools said:

A silly response

no1 crime in the country ... fraud

..... Yes offset by the massive reduction in the number of in-person robberies.  One has replaced the other.

Doesn't support your delusions that some how hard currency is  the better infallible safe option.  If everyone regressed back to using cash all the time for everything  what do you think would happen to the crime stats then?

Edited by ECCOnoob

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

..... Yes offset by the massive reduction in the number of in-person robberies.  One has replaced the other.

Doesn't support your delusions that some how hard currency is the the better infallible safe option.  If everyone regressed back to using cash all the time for everything  what do you think would happen to the crime stats then?

your argument is delving into fantasy land

1 hour ago, fools said:

Calling people trolls for asking a valid question is a bit much - your lengthy responses belittling anyone questioning any change, could also be seen as trolling

3 million people affected by fraud each year as a result of computerisation, they have to cope.

some of the change going on is ****, customer service is appalling, music and radio quality is mush, news is full of lies, it's turned swathes of the public into angry zombies.

as for modern tech enabling much more communication, doesn't seem to happen much on public transport, row upon row of lemmings staring at a screen.

I was referring to the word 'troll' because said person was one.  A well known one who was thankfully kicked off the forum until they inevitably respawn under a different username.

Yes there are increases in fraud activities but as I said in my other post, it is offset by the dramatic reduction in numbers of other types of crime particularly muggings, petty theft and burglary.  What was once physical assets has moved into digital ones. I am not saying that no crime exists but let's not be so blase to think that a world of carrying round bags of cash was so wonderful either.

I would argue that feelings about customer service is subjective.  For some people, they believe that anything less than absolute personal service and a caring touch is all that matters. Some others may argue that speed, minimal interaction and improved convenience of 24-Hour 7 day accessibility is a price worth paying for having a more hands off self-service approach.  Perhaps even more so if the net result of such is lower and lower prices which us consumers are demanding. Automation, centralisation, computerisation and globalisation have all being big contributors to the bountiful amount of products and services that people could have only dreamed of a few decades ago.

Music and radio quality is again subjective. There is more freedom of choice now with far less influence on being told what someone has decided you can watch and listen to at a time when they dictate. For many, linear broadcasting is dead. We pick and choose our own schedules and own content all at the click of a button.

As for news, don't make me laugh. Whilst there might be a deluge of information from 1001 sources online, let's not pretend that so-called traditional print media was any less filled with speculation, lies, sensationalism and spin. They were all at it since day one. There has always been some tribal war over which 'version' of the news one wants to believe usually influenced on which publication ones family predecessors, friends or neighbours did.  At least with the internet and modern media there's the ability to obtain a range of opinion from a range of sources outside of one's own backyard. An ability to make an informed decision independently. Social media and online resources are just a tool. Not to be taken absolutely literally. We still have the ability to make our own decisions based on what we are presented with. We all have the ability to go and look at the other view.  Something which would not have been possible even in recent history. Surely that's got to be an improvement.

As for your comments about public transport, you seem to be suggesting that 'communication' only applies if it's face to face. Have you thought about perhaps all these 'lemmings staring at a screen' are doing far more communication with people they actually want to communicate with.  They are engaged in text chats, WhatsApps, message postings, video calls, social media postings to their groups of friends and acquaintances.  There may be communicating with work colleagues, responding to emails, preparing for the day ahead, making arrangements for meetings or appointments.  They may be reading articles or postings or blogs from interest groups they are part of or communities engage with.....  Like it or not, that's communication and in the modern world it strays far from just talking to people sat immediately beside you.  The world is bigger than that.

too long, try some brevity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44628874

https://uk.pcmag.com/security/136036/coinbase-discloses-that-6000-customers-got-hacked-this-spring

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/see-tickets-discloses-25-years-long-credit-card-theft-breach/