Heater On The Bus Today

2 minutes ago, dutch said:

You're probably right but to be honest my old fridge botten trays are falling apart as well but haven't had any vandals in house.

Very funny - but bus seats are constructed of slightly stronger material than plastic.

17 hours ago, Resident said:

I can tell you that NONE of the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet goes into limp mode when they overheat. Drivers are instructed to drive slowly to lower the engine loading to try and 'limp' back to depot. 

I Drove one of Sheffields Fleet yesterday and it was in limp mode, i can tell you there a few that go into limp mode, the issue is money as normal they buy cheap parts and the injectors they buy as one of our engerneers said they are a load of BEEP!

17 hours ago, Resident said:

Also to clarify, SOME buses in the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet DO have a driver control for heating inside the cab on the HEAVAC panel. I believe these are only on some of the streetlites & probably doesn't work as intended

yea they do but like the rest they have cut them off from drivers control the knobs and buttons dont do anything,

all of our fleet dont have driver control of the tempreture of the saloon we have very little control of the temps in the drivers cab, they is a ongoing bust up about temp control with depots managers, unions and drivers, trust us when we say we dont like it ether, a passanger is on a bus for a hour at most, we can be on there for 5 hours 30 mins max, so if anyone wants a nice cool or warm bus is us,

Again this all Steams down to Money,  they dont like spending it, they clim they dont have any

• Like 1

18 hours ago, redruby said:

I know some people have said they felt ill on the bus as it was like an oven with the heaters on early this week.  I don’t envy the drivers sitting in that boiling heat all day

In fairness there was a NATIONAL red warning and people were told to travel only if necessary due to the heat risk but I can tell you there were loads of Derek's & Doris's going into town centres for the umpteenth time in the last few days. The ones that were most at risk. It seems they have the mentality that if they don't use their bus pass every day it runs out.  It's just pure selfishness. It was the same during covid. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

In fairness there was a NATIONAL red warning and people were told to travel only if necessary due to the heat risk but I can tell you there were loads of Derek's & Doris's going into town centres for the umpteenth time in the last few days. The ones that were most at risk. It seems they have the mentality that if they don't use their bus pass every day it runs out.  It's just pure selfishness. It was the same during covid. 

True but I’m talking about people that had to use the bus to get to work on those days. I never understand why so many pensioners choose to travel and go shopping when it’s busy and they don’t have to go then.

18 minutes ago, redruby said:

True but I’m talking about people that had to use the bus to get to work on those days. I never understand why so many pensioners choose to travel and go shopping when it’s busy and they don’t have to go then.

As I understand it, they can only use passes after 09:30 but why are there no evening rush hour restrictions?

Edited by Jim Hardie

Guest busdriver1
25 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

As I understand it, they can only use passes after 09:30 but why are there no evening rush hour restrictions?

There is a mentality that they have paid for it for years so are going to use it. 

This is completely wrong. What they paid for was the much lesser benefits that their parents enjoyed and We are paying now for what THEY get. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I guess they sometimes have to travel at that time for appointment or something but there seems to be a lot that choose to go shopping and travel when it’s busy. 

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

There is a mentality that they have paid for it for years so are going to use it. 

This is completely wrong. What they paid for was the much lesser benefits that their parents enjoyed and We are paying now for what THEY get. 

It’s always been the case that today’s workers pay for today’s pensions, and the present level of benefits are such as they are because it’s pensioners that vote.

The ageing population will make this unsustainable. At the end of the war there were 14 workers for every pensioner. By 2004 it was 4:1 and, unless there are further increases in the pension age, by 2056 it will be 2:1

No amount of pensioner voting will prevent big change and it’s going to be tough on today’s workers who are unlikely to get the same level of benefits when it’s their turn.

• Like 1