Heater On The Bus Today

Guest busdriver1
16 hours ago, redruby said:

It sounds like some buses do have the heaters on to stop the engine overheating 

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/buses-with-the-passenger-heaters-on-in-hot-weather.220362/

reading through that it is riddled with inaccuracies and rumour. Claims are being made that are not possible to have happened. 

Its a bus, it has large windows, it has an engine working very hard ( new emissions regulations mean smaller engines working at higher temperatures are needed to hit emissions legislations). 

Buses have built in ventilation systems that use ambient air for ventilation. Ambient currently is WARM , so that what gets circulated 

5th time of pointing out? 👿

People keep mentioning heat and limp mode. 

I can tell you that NONE of the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet goes into limp mode when they overheat. Drivers are instructed to drive slowly to lower the engine loading to try and 'limp' back to depot. 

Buses going extremely slow uphill is a result of using smaller, underpowered engines and then choking them with the emissions control systems. 

Unfortunately some buses have run with the heating on, the likelihood is that the thermostat or cut off valve has failed and allowing for hot coolant to run through the saloon 'radiators'

Also to clarify, SOME buses in the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet DO have a driver control for heating inside the cab on the HEAVAC panel. I believe these are only on some of the streetlites & probably doesn't work as intended

13 minutes ago, Resident said:

People keep mentioning heat and limp mode. 

I can tell you that NONE of the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet goes into limp mode when they overheat. Drivers are instructed to drive slowly to lower the engine loading to try and 'limp' back to depot. 

Buses going extremely slow uphill is a result of using smaller, underpowered engines and then choking them with the emissions control systems. 

Unfortunately some buses have run with the heating on, the likelihood is that the thermostat or cut off valve has failed and allowing for hot coolant to run through the saloon 'radiators'

Also to clarify, SOME buses in the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet DO have a driver control for heating inside the cab on the HEAVAC panel. I believe these are only on some of the streetlites & probably doesn't work as intended

Yes, I spoke to a driver today and that’s exactly what he said.  And yes, the heaters were on again today but he said it is just some buses that have to run with heating on.

28 minutes ago, bassett one said:

we need to replace all the old buses asap and use them for shows only,because that would be good for heritage events and it would be better for the public to travel on new buses

Who is going to pay for all these 'new' buses at £225,000 + a pop? Especially when (a) operators are not even now covering costs, and (b) in South Yorkshire and other areas, the public aren't using them?

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, bassett one said:

we need to replace all the old buses asap and use them for shows only,because that would be good for heritage events and it would be better for the public to travel on new buses

These old buses 😂

Have you any idea of the average age of the fleet at present? 

Let me help you out here. 

No. 

12 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

These old buses 😂

Have you any idea of the average age of the fleet at present? 

Let me help you out here. 

No. 

Don't know how old it was but my bus yesterday it's seat in front of me was falling apart broken to pieces.

Maintenance is more important than age seen some good old buses out there and new ones that struggle with a Sheffield hill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dutch said:

Don't know how old it was but my bus yesterday it's seat in front of me was falling apart broken to pieces.

Maintenance is more important than age seen some good old buses out there and new ones that struggle with a Sheffield hill.

Vandalism.

• Like 1