Heater On The Bus Today

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

It’s always been the case that today’s workers pay for today’s pensions, and the present level of benefits are such as they are because it’s pensioners that vote.

The ageing population will make this unsustainable. At the end of the war there were 14 workers for every pensioner. By 2004 it was 4:1 and, unless there are further increases in the pension age, by 2056 it will be 2:1

No amount of pensioner voting will prevent big change and it’s going to be tough on today’s workers who are unlikely to get the same level of benefits when it’s their turn.

I am well aware of that, but, I was pointing out that many of the older generation think differently 

On 21/07/2022 at 17:05, Resident said:

People keep mentioning heat and limp mode. 

I can tell you that NONE of the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet goes into limp mode when they overheat. Drivers are instructed to drive slowly to lower the engine loading to try and 'limp' back to depot. 

Buses going extremely slow uphill is a result of using smaller, underpowered engines and then choking them with the emissions control systems. 

Unfortunately some buses have run with the heating on, the likelihood is that the thermostat or cut off valve has failed and allowing for hot coolant to run through the saloon 'radiators'

Also to clarify, SOME buses in the Sheffield/Rotherham fleet DO have a driver control for heating inside the cab on the HEAVAC panel. I believe these are only on some of the streetlites & probably doesn't work as intended

The driver on most buses has control of the heaters in the cab to make it blow hot or cold air(unless it's been switched off at the engine then it won't blow any hot air) however it only controls vents in the cab area and windscreen, there's nothing that can be done for the rest of the bus. I doubt there was any drivers blowing cold air in the cab area on Monday/Tuesday though as your just bringing the outside air in which was far too hot.

Obviously there was warnings to only travel if needed so they only have themselves to blame about the heat if they didn't need to be on the bus.

5 hours ago, redruby said:

I guess they sometimes have to travel at that time for appointment or something but there seems to be a lot that choose to go shopping and travel when it’s busy. 

During covid, when the buses had the severe passenger limits, everyday at 0930 on many routes, with the knowledge that people were needing to get to work, there they all were. Drivers have told me that they'd get literally less than a 1/4 of the route round and they were at those limits, with 90% of the load being OAPs who were travelling for no purpose other than to have a jolly to town, forcing the driver to leave PAYING passengers who needed to get to work stranded. 

I've been on buses just after 9:15am and there's often a gaggle of OAPs at most stops hailing the bus then asking the driver if they can use their pass despite knowing full well it's not 9:30 then not boarding because the driver has said no, causing unnecessary delays. 

Personally I'd change the whole pass system. An auto-recharging smartcard that resets each week, loaded with 6 'free' journeys. Afte they run out, pay like the rest. The pass would not be valid before 10am or after 8pm so that drivers don't have to deal with intoxicated OAPs demanding free travel after 11pm (when the pass runs out). It would also no be valid at weekends or bank holidays. 

It'd also stop another scourge borne of the limitless 'free' travel, the one stop hop. Getting the bus to go 100yrds down the road. 

9 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

Are they they ones that asked for the heating to be on, last week?

No not during hottest day. Year has 4 seasons. If buses would have air conditioning OAP would bus-hop now for that.

Edited by dutch

58 minutes ago, briret said:

You will all be old someday.

You're right. But I won't be self-entitled, rude and belligerent when I'm told that a privilege isn't valid. 

A bus pass is just that. A privilege. One that can be revoked at any point. 

Most oaps these days treat privilege as a right. 

4 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Exactly and it is worth bearing in mind that senior citizens have had more time than anyone else to acumulate wealth, wealth to get around and buy cars or pay for taxis or shock horror, pay for their bus fare.  The concessionary scheme for senior citizens is a mere gesture of good will for the tax paid by senior citizens over the years. It is not an absolute human right, the same goes for the TV licence fee. 

OAPs love to pay cash for stuff though