Heater On The Bus Today

On 27/07/2022 at 10:00, RollingJ said:

So you're insulted that you can travel anywhere in England on public service buses for free? I'm not, in fact I'm very happy, although  I'm sometimes slightly embarrassed. What strings, apart from the peak morning start time which is fair enough - if you couldn't get on the bus to get to work because it was full of non-paying passengers, would you be happy?

No, I'm insulted that the 0ld age pension is £141.85 per week when the government states a minimum of £367.20 per week,  at least for 40 hours which is what I averaged.  I was insulted when Margret Thatcher broke the link beetween earnings and pensions and I was insulted again when labour didn't reinstate the next time they came to power. I wouldn't be insulted if they stopped m y  wife's and my bus pass and paid us  the  £794.40 per week that they state as a  minimum 

42 minutes ago, spilldig said:

No, I'm insulted that the 0ld age pension is £141.85 per week when the government states a minimum of £367.20 per week,  at least for 40 hours which is what I averaged.  I was insulted when Margret Thatcher broke the link beetween earnings and pensions and I was insulted again when labour didn't reinstate the next time they came to power. I wouldn't be insulted if they stopped m y  wife's and my bus pass and paid us  the  £794.40 per week that they state as a  minimum 

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, and a constant theme of yours.

22 hours ago, spilldig said:

The low state pension has been such for decades. Why didn't you, in the knowledge of this, prepare your own income stream? 

I'm in my 40s now and I've had a private pension set up since I was 18, of which I have added any employer-based pension scheme over the years & now have a very health pension pot for my twilight years. 

Also stating you only get £141/week is disingenuous. On top of that you're able to claim:

Housing benefit  (upto 150/week)
Council Tax Reducion benefit (up to 50%)
Pension Credits
Cold Weather Payments
Winter Fuel Allowance 
Additional NHS discounts (Dental, prescriptions

and under certain circumstance, Attendance/Carer's allowance.  

All of which probably add up to more than £367. 

21 hours ago, Resident said:

The low state pension has been such for decades. Why didn't you, in the knowledge of this, prepare your own income stream? 

I'm in my 40s now and I've had a private pension set up since I was 18, of which I have added any employer-based pension scheme over the years & now have a very health pension pot for my twilight years. 

Also stating you only get £141/week is disingenuous. On top of that you're able to claim:

Housing benefit  (upto 150/week)
Council Tax Reducion benefit (up to 50%)
Pension Credits
Cold Weather Payments
Winter Fuel Allowance 
Additional NHS discounts (Dental, prescriptions

and under certain circumstance, Attendance/Carer's allowance.  

All of which probably add up to more than £367. 

I did the same as you but I don't agree with means testing.

• 10 months later...

Well, not much has changed since last year.  There are STILL buses with heaters on in summer.  A friend asked the driver to turn it off  and he said ‘it has to stay on as it helps the engine’.  Apparently the engine overheats going uphill otherwise.  Never mind the overheating passengers 🥵🔥

9 minutes ago, redruby said:

Well, not much has changed since last year.  There are STILL buses with heaters on in summer.  A friend asked the driver to turn it off  and he said ‘it has to stay on as it helps the engine’.  Apparently the engine overheats going uphill otherwise.  Never mind the overheating passengers 🥵🔥

Ahhhh the joys of public transport. 

I'm so happy I don't have to use it if I'm honest. 

14 minutes ago, redruby said:

Which route?