'Shuttle Bus'

On 17/08/2022 at 17:31, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Hah! The City Clipper used articulated buses much longer than those lengths.

22 hours ago, RollingJ said:

It did - although I don't think it went down Surrey Street, and even if it did, our wonderful council have considerably widened the footpath area (and thus narrowed the road),  since then.

Nevertheless, articulated buses (MAN and DAB/Leyland) managed the City Centre's twists and turns back then without any mishaps; and perhaps they could do so now too. Minibuses aren't adequate

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Nevertheless, articulated buses (MAN and DAB/Leyland) managed the City Centre's twists and turns back then without any mishaps; and perhaps they could do so now too. Minibuses aren't adequate

@Jeffrey ShawI don't wish to argue with you, but when the buses ran via High Street/Pinstone Street, those roads were nowhere as narrow as they are now, with various junction changes, and IIRC the City Clipper - considerably longer than a normal bus - ran where junctions were large enough to accommodate its extra length.

I don't know if you've attempted to (illegally) drive the 'Sheffield Connect' route, but I think you will find a 10M vehicle will have considerable difficulty. I haven't been on it yet due to other commitments, but just from looking at its route on the map, there is at least the Pinstone street/Surrey Street junction which needs remodelling to accommodate anything longer than a minibus. Further comment will follow when I have chance to experience the route.

As an aside, from anecdotal, therefore not necessarily true, comments, no-one is using it, so maybe they could down-grade it to a taxi?

1 minute ago, Rivelin6 said:

I am in town most days for work and have seen the new bus about half a dozen times now and not once have I see anyone on it at all. Says it all really! 

Thanks, @Rivelin6. As I've said earlier this is a typical Jarvis/Coppard/Fox vanity project with zero value.

13 minutes ago, Rivelin6 said:

I am in town most days for work and have seen the new bus about half a dozen times now and not once have I see anyone on it at all. Says it all really! 

Hmmm... :huh:

So, let's just get this right...
... you want it to stick to the timetable AND pick-up/drop-off passengers? :suspect:

I bet that wasn't in the SCC proposal... :hihi:

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry to drag this up after 12 months, but just seen a hilarious tweet by our City Council:

Just scroll to the bottom - I'm a lousy (re)tweeter.

For those that can't be bothered - SCC are shouting about the 10m buses that will be replacing the currently empty mini-buses on this sham of a 'service'.

Edited by RollingJ