Another Parking Issue.

My issue with parking in the Lansdown estate (bottom of Sharrow) We have to buy a permit for parking wich is fair enough. BUT There are 76 spaces for 980 homes. I know not every home will own a car but a hell of a lot do.  In those limited spaces there are usually council vehicles parked in them and for most anyone can park if they pay and display.  Some residents have to park a 20 minute walk away from home and sometimes still have to pay and display ontop of the permit which dont apply in other areas. It seems unfair to me for permit holders in the area and the council are just not interested. There are lots of grass verges that could be turned into parking bays but the council would just rather issue pcn's. Surely they would get the revenue back from extra bays.

9 minutes ago, Ashcroft said:

My issue with parking in the Lansdown estate (bottom of Sharrow) We have to buy a permit for parking wich is fair enough. BUT There are 76 spaces for 980 homes. I know not every home will own a car but a hell of a lot do.  In those limited spaces there are usually council vehicles parked in them and for most anyone can park if they pay and display.  Some residents have to park a 20 minute walk away from home and sometimes still have to pay and display ontop of the permit which dont apply in other areas. It seems unfair to me for permit holders in the area and the council are just not interested. There are lots of grass verges that could be turned into parking bays but the council would just rather issue pcn's. Surely they would get the revenue back from extra bays.

I'd guess PCNs are more profitable. Those grass verges are going nowhere.

• Like 1

Some houses are HMO's or have a large extended family so one house can have 3-4 car owners to exacerbate the situation further. I would like to see car ownership only for those who can park off-road and that does not mean cutting down trees or losing grass verges or gardens so they can be made into car parks.

If parking is important to you, get in touch with an estate agent who can look for more suitable accomodation for you.

I would like to see the whole of Sheffield as permit only parking if cars are on the road for more than 4 nights per week and to lose pay and display if you have a valid permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I'd guess PCNs are more profitable. Those grass verges are going nowhere.

Would be a disgrace if they did. We've paved wore than enough of the world to accommodate cars as it is.

10 hours ago, Ashcroft said:

What do you expect in high density housing, a space for each house? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Would be a disgrace if they did. We've paved wore than enough of the world to accommodate cars as it is.

What do you expect in high density housing, a space for each house? 

Not a space for each flat, That would be silly unless they built a multi storey. I mean just for the permit holders.

10 hours ago, Findlay said:

Some houses are HMO's or have a large extended family so one house can have 3-4 car owners to exacerbate the situation further. I would like to see car ownership only for those who can park off-road and that does not mean cutting down trees or losing grass verges or gardens so they can be made into car parks.

If parking is important to you, get in touch with an estate agent who can look for more suitable accomodation for you.

I would like to see the whole of Sheffield as permit only parking if cars are on the road for more than 4 nights per week and to lose pay and display if you have a valid permit.

The permits for the flats are limited to two cars. Most have just the one apart from the taxi drivers.  The grass verges on the estate are useless to anyone anyways and it costs the council more to maintain them.  If trees and grass are important to you get intouch with an estate agent and see if they can find you somewhere in the country side.

21 minutes ago, Ashcroft said:

Not a space for each flat, That would be silly unless they built a multi storey. I mean just for the permit holders.

Hmmm... :huh:

It would be much easier for the council to just decrease the number of permits issued...

... not that they would, for obvious reasons.

Isn't it a bit like a concert or footy match over-selling tickets, and it's just tough if you've bought a ticket and the venue is already full when you get there? :suspect:

In the real world, I believe this idea of charging folk for something that doesn't exist is at best, regarded as a scam...

... but councils don't operate in the real world! :roll:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Findlay said:

What is exactly you have been smoking to come up with such absolute nonsense? How many bicycles per family would your eutopia allow? Would we all have wear the same uniform? Would we be allowed out at a time of our own choosing? Where would I park my horse and cart?

ha ha cycling rules ok! 

43 minutes ago, Ashcroft said:

T....

If trees and grass are important to you get intouch with an estate agent and see if they can find you somewhere in the country side.

Get in touch with Council and get a planters licence for the verge outside your property and plant up some barrels

It trains car owners to park inline enabling more cars to park and speeds up journeys as their bad parking creates 'chicanes'.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
bad parkin
  • Like 1