Skegness Beach Car Park Toilets Only Payable By A 40p Contactless Payment

I'm on Chekhov's side on this one. It might seem a small, trivial thing, but life is made up of such things and recently far too many of them, which is one of the reasons people are getting so wound up over such things.   

Places like Skegness depend on visitors and should be welcoming places, relaxed and a pleasure to visit. This sort of thing gives off  exactly the opposite feeling. No one likes to feel ripped off - there'll be plenty of other places in Skeggy doing that. Public toilets are supposed to be paid for out of the council tax, but here people are expected to pay again, and if the toilets are unmanned you can bet that at some stages of the day the facilities will be anything but pristine. 

As for having to pay by card - don't get me started. We are all being forced down this road whether we want to go or not. As I've said before, we have to hang on to cash and cash transactions, and beware the cashless society. Don't give power to the banks to control your lives. 

• Like 1

Guest sibon
9 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Bring back the 2p collection box locks on the toilet doors!

2p. Outrageous. 

You could get from Dinnington to the Castle Market for that. Not exactly contactlessly, but hey.

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

It's the norm because paying for small value transactions via contact less payment has been around for years.  So yes it is the norm, you just aren't used to see it on the front of a toilet. That's just called progression. .

And just think of the lessened risk of you contracting covid by not having to touch frequently touched public toilet surfaces by using your own contactless payment. 

I've done a quick risk assessment and concluded that you would be at less risk of contracting covid or flu providing you still wash your hands afterwards. And it's entirely proportionate. 

You got there a head of me...

It astounds me how this ridiculous hysterical response keeps coming up from certain people about contactless. 

I certainly don't want dwindling public resources being wasted just because a minority of dinosaurs and stubborn asses can't or won't keep up with the evolution of modern world and technology.

Ultimately, they have three choices, suck it up and use the facility or go find an alternative place or stand there protecting their pathetic 'principles' and wet themselves.

Honestly the way people talk about Contactless payments as if its some completely alien concept. For heavens sake, it's been in existence  since the late 2000s and commonplace for most people since at least 2015 onwards. Wider than that, electronic debit card payments first started in existence in the 70s with it being absolutely routine by the 90s.

I'm sure those with genuine disabling needs are catered with the radar key changing places facility.  As for anyone else in groups or families, or whatever other excuse wants to be thrown around, they need to get over themselves. Public toilet facilities cost money to build, money to install and money to continually maintain.  If one chooses not to use facilities for free in their own house, B&B, caravan, leisure park, arcade, sports centre, shopping mall, cinema, theatre, hotel, bar, cafe restaurant, train station, coach, service station......  then 40p is a perfectly reasonable charge for the convenience.

I think a certain Mr Dramatics needs to get out more.  Try London and see the the £1 contactless only toilets in the middle of Covent Garden.  Try places all over continental Europe where large numbers of public facilities (even those in the middle of shopping malls, food courts, department stores or transport stations) still have some sort of charge to enter.....  That will certainly give them something to complain about.

Edited by ECCOnoob

15 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Bring back the 2p collection box locks on the toilet doors!

Can you not remember the Toilet attendant ? In some paces they even had there own office next door to the Loos. They kept the place clean and neat and tidy and well stocked, and sometimes in the ladies she would add her own touches like fresh flowers and a few pretty things. The customers  could always call on her for an emergency pin, bit of advice or a squirt of perfume, in exchange for a few pennies in her dish.

And God help anyone who got on the wrong side of her in her own little kingdom.

Happy days.

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm on Chekhov's side on this one. It might seem a small, trivial thing, but life is made up of such things and recently far too many of them, which is one of the reasons people are getting so wound up over such things.   

Places like Skegness depend on visitors and should be welcoming places, relaxed and a pleasure to visit. This sort of thing gives off  exactly the opposite feeling. No one likes to feel ripped off - there'll be plenty of other places in Skeggy doing that. Public toilets are supposed to be paid for out of the council tax, but here people are expected to pay again, and if the toilets are unmanned you can bet that at some stages of the day the facilities will be anything but pristine. 

As for having to pay by card - don't get me started. We are all being forced down this road whether we want to go or not. As I've said before, we have to hang on to cash and cash transactions, and beware the cashless society. Don't give power to the banks to control your lives. 

Good. It's 2022. The world is run on the silicon chip. The quicker it keeps evolving the better.

We moved on from trading with cattle and bartering with objects. We moved on from the world of farthings and groats and shillings and crowns.  We moved on from the world of salaries being dished out weekly and little brown envelopes and standing behind a dozen people in the supermarket queue whilst they faff around writing out their cheques or counting out £14.32 in exact coinage. We are now moving on from cash transactions altogether which is providing great opportunities to business owners who now no longer need to worry about the expense, liability and hassle of dealing with cash each day and has also enabled the ability to extend the 24-hour society with limited staffing or staffless operations which previously would not have been possible.

The banks have always been in control. Nobody walks around with loads of cash in their back pocket and piles of notes under the mattress.  They provide us with a free at source service which we all take advantage of and in return they get to do investments and lending on money that we deposit there. It's how it's worked since before the turn-of-the-century.

It's a fact of life and it's part of engaging with the world that you live in. Grow up and stop treating everything as some conspiracy against ordinary people.

The age of mass use of council public toilets is long over. We are not in the Victorian age anymore. People have them in their homes, every business will have one, every venue has them, every transport facility has them, every major public building has them.   

For the small numbers of outside council facilities left, the cost of running and operating them is continually going up and generally the number of users going sharply in the opposite direction.  40p is a convenience charge. If people really don't want to pay it they can go to an alternative nearby.  

18 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Cash is king 

Yeah sure. You keep telling yourself that.

83% of people estimated to be using contactless.

Reported trend of 70% decline in use of cash  since 2010.

A measly 17% of all payments in 2020 were by cash.

I think your king is about to abdicate.

Answer me this honestly, if stats like that applied to any other type of product or service would you still be championing it as some dominant and relevant force?  

Edited by ECCOnoob

12 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah sure. You keep telling yourself that.

83% of people estimated to be using contactless.

Reported trend of 70% decline in use of cash  since 2010.

A measly 17% of all payments in 2020 were by cash.

I think your king is about to abdicate.

Answer me this honestly, if stats like that applied to any other type of product or service would you still be championing it as some dominant and relevant force?  

Statistics . " estimated"  "reported"  . I dont care , if you want to pay for everything by card , even miniscule amounts , good for you . Paying 40p by card is ridiculous . I prefer cash and will continue to