Nowt Left In The Coffers Say Scc

Just now, harvey19 said:

A lot of old people are having to pay for their care.

Why has there been a change in government funding ?

And a lot of old people arent able to or dont have to. We have an aging population, it costs money.

Why has there been a change? No idea. 

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

And a lot of old people arent able to or dont have to. We have an aging population, it costs money.

Why has there been a change? No idea. 

This old generation have paid a lot of money in National Insurance and are penalised if they have saved money and not squandered it.

Are council employees being paid too much ?

Edited by harvey19
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

(I agree its needless though)

You honestly wouldn't believe how much car dependency costs local communities and local councils like Sheffield CC.

You might disagree with Low Traffic Neighbourhoods as a method, but we must start finding solutions to ever-increasing car ownership and over-use/dependency. It simply isn't sustainable, and the role it plays it depleting local finances both for councils and individuals can't be understated. Car ownership is an expensive money pit.

Just now, AndrewC said:

You honestly wouldn't believe how much car dependency costs local communities and local councils like Sheffield CC.

You might disagree with Low Traffic Neighbourhoods as a method, but we must start finding solutions to ever-increasing car ownership and over-use/dependency. It simply isn't sustainable, and the role it plays it depleting local finances both for councils and individuals can't be understated. Car ownership is an expensive money pit.

I dont disagree but blocking the odd street here and there with these big planters isnt going to suddenly stop people using cars, it just annoys people.

7 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

This old generation have paid a lot of money in National Insurance and are penalised if they have saved money and not squandered it.

Are council employees being paid too much ?

I would say probably not. In any case in the worst cost of living crisis in living memory are you now wanting to cut peoples wages? Unions would have an absolute field day.

15 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

A lot of old people are having to pay for their care.

Why has there been a change in government funding ?

Adult Social Care has always been subject to a Financial Assessment. if an individual has over a certain amount of capital and income, then the Council won't fund it. The Government has changed the threshold for this, there will be a financial impact on all Councils. It was one of Boris's big announcements last year. 

Also, people are generally living longer and with more complex health and care needs. 

Government funding to Local Authorities has been slashed since 2010. 

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

I dont disagree but blocking the odd street here and there with these big planters isnt going to suddenly stop people using cars, it just annoys people.

I fully agree, it is stupid.

We can not turn the clock back and people are now used to using cars.

When I was younger buses ran regularly about every 10 minutes and you knew that if you missed one another would be along soon.

There used to be stanby drivers at the depot to ensure all bus routes were covered in case a driver went sick.

No matter how much is spent on cycle lanes it will not encourage the majority of non cyclists to change their mode of transport.

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would say probably not. In any case in the worst cost of living crisis in living memory are you now wanting to cut peoples wages? Unions would have an absolute field day.

Not wanting to cut wages, asking if they are paid too much especially when the council is broke financially.

4 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

Adult Social Care has always been subject to a Financial Assessment. if an individual has over a certain amount of capital and income, then the Council won't fund it. The Government has changed the threshold for this, there will be a financial impact on all Councils. It was one of Boris's big announcements last year. 

Also, people are generally living longer and with more complex health and care needs. 

Government funding to Local Authorities has been slashed since 2010. 

In my opinion social care for the elderly should be free at point of delivery for all and funded by national insurance contributions.

People are living longer but also working longer and so contributing longer.

Why was government funding slashed ?

17 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

We can not turn the clock back and people are now used to using cars.

When I was younger buses ran regularly about every 10 minutes and you knew that if you missed one another would be along soon.

There used to be stanby drivers at the depot to ensure all bus routes were covered in case a driver went sick.

No matter how much is spent on cycle lanes it will not encourage the majority of non cyclists to change their mode of transport.

Public transport could be great again if governments were willing to invest in it again. As for not turning the clock back and never encouraging people on to bikes etc, it can be done - as evidenced by numerous cities in the UK and Europe which have shown - particularly since Covid - that if you do start to restrict car use and promote alternatives then people will change their habits.

Anyway, the debate about car dependency etc. is another subject entirely, the point for this thread is that most recent active travel infrastructure in the UK (cycle lanes etc) since Covid and all the LTN schemes have been paid for using central government funding schemes. They aren't what's bankrupting the council.

13 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Public transport could be great again if governments were willing to invest in it again. As for not turning the clock back and never encouraging people on to bikes etc, it can be done - as evidenced by numerous cities in the UK and Europe which have shown - particularly since Covid - that if you do start to restrict car use and promote alternatives then people will change their habits.

Anyway, the debate about car dependency etc. is another subject entirely, the point for this thread is that most recent active travel infrastructure in the UK (cycle lanes etc) since Covid and all the LTN schemes have been paid for using central government funding schemes. They aren't what's bankrupting the council.

In some European cities cycles are used more but that is probably because the land is flatter, it has always been done and they cycle to a reliable bus/train station and different climate.

I think only a tiny y minority of people will turn to cycling regardless of prompting from central or local government. As mentioned in another thread we have an ageing population.

Has central government paid for the blocking off of roads as has happened in Walkley or the hideous concrete blocks in town. ?

Edited by harvey19

6 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I think only a tiny y minority of people will turn to cycling regardless of prompting from central or local government. As mentioned in another thread we have an ageing population.

"People aged 65 to 75 cycle more than any adult group in the Netherlands. Not because they’re super-human, but because of the traffic-calmed streets and segregated cycle networks. These environments allow them to participate in society far longer into old age"

the-age-friendly-city

fwiw, i hugely appreciate the blocks on Little London Road, they make it much safer for me to get to work. Remove the blocks, and i'll drive more, it really is that simple.

I am looking forward to the next phases of improvements to the Sheaf Valley Cycle route - Thanks SCC!

Edited by ads36