Nowt Left In The Coffers Say Scc

how is more pollution small beer when the stated aim is clean air, at least try and be consistent

if pollution was the issue, councils would make the journey from a to b smoother, they do the opposite.  All these toys to play with. There's another thread about wanting to build a 6500 seat arena in pond street, seems that might increase the traffic a bit

sheffield - a city where they install a bus lane, which is nearly always empty. This empty bus lane causes so much unnecessary congestion, that it holds up the bus.

It's not camberwick green, the bike stuff is delusional.

if someone wants to walk, they walk, where did you get the idea that this needs facilitating

Edited by fools

On 22/09/2022 at 13:17, leviathan13 said:

Maybe they'd have more money if people paid their rent...

Housing:

One of my neighbours recently flitted - not sure why as it was practically free rent anyway, 

In the last 3 weeks there have been 4 men or more every day, emptying the house, ripping everything out, to put new bathroom, kitchen, central heating, new roof, not to mention the garden which one of them I asked how much would cost... I suggested a thousand, and he said 'and the rest'. I had a little calcuation and certainly no less than £15k, but possibly way more than that.

Who is paying for this? Everyone in this conversation who pays SCC Tax. Probably for the next tenant who doesn't pay. 

I see people saying these things are minor things, but these add up. Imagine city wide how much this costs. 

Bikes:

Someone tried a bike scheme, the 'ofos' and most ended up nicked and Christmas presents in Page hall. I can't see Sheffielders' going for it. It's just too damn hilly.

-

Public toilets:

It's quite a big city centre, so it's obviously too expensive to put loads of them, like those old grotty things (laughed at the bj comments) :hihi:

I'm sure somewhere near the top of Fargate or between Fargate and the Moor, one decent set of toilets could be build and charge to fund it. If I was a shop owner, I don't want people coming and using them without paying for anything. 

Meadowhall does it. Clean toilets, and people aren't afraid to use them, and one good reason to go to Meadowhall is this fact. If I'm in an emergency situation (1 or 2, not bj), I don't want to go looking for shops with toilets! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fools said:

how is more pollution small beer when the stated aim is clean air, at least try and be consistent

if pollution was the issue, councils would make the journey from a to b smoother, they do the opposite.  All these toys to play with. There's another thread about wanting to build a 6500 seat arena in pond street, seems that might increase the traffic a bit

sheffield - a city where they install a bus lane, which is nearly always empty. This empty bus lane causes so much unnecessary congestion, that it holds up the bus.

It's not camberwick green, the bike stuff is delusional.

if someone wants to walk, they walk, where did you get the idea that this needs facilitating

Pollution is not the only issue which the authorities have to deal with.

Improving air quality is also not the only aim of schemes which the authorities promote.

The clean air zone  in the city centre is obviously aimed at reducing pollution in that area, but schemes like the low traffic neighbourhoods are more focussed on reducing the other detrimental impacts of over-use of motor vehicles.

It is accepted that both of these types of scheme will result in some traffic re-routing and therefore pollution may increase slightly in other areas. The benefits to be achieved are felt to outweigh any downsides.

Bus lanes do not in themselves increase congestion. You may have noticed that the bus lanes end before the main junctions. It is junction capacity that determines levels of congestion. The bus lanes just let the buses get further towards the front of the queue at busy times. Outside peak times traffic generally flows relatively freely anyway and the bus lanes make no difference to general traffic.

Sadly, walking and cycling do need to be facilitated. Many people find the speed and volume of traffic to be a barrier to them walking or cycling. They perceive the current situation as unsafe. Schemes like low traffic neighbourhoods remove the through traffic and slow down any other traffic. This makes for a safer, quieter neighbourhood and people feel empowered to walk and cycle more often and reclaim the streets from motor vehicles. They are proven to work.

8 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Bikes:

Someone tried a bike scheme, the 'ofos' and most ended up nicked and Christmas presents in Page hall. I can't see Sheffielders' going for it. It's just too damn hilly.

Bikes have very good gears these days and anyone with any degree of fitness can get up the hills. They aren’t the barrier that some people seem to think.

Electric bikes are increasingly popular and they breeze up any hill with minimal effort. Leeds are about to introduce a 100% electric bike hire scheme, so it will be interesting to see how they fare. Other hire schemes report that the electric bikes are much more popular than normal ones.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Improving air quality is also not the only aim of schemes which the authorities promote.

The clean air zone  in the city centre is obviously aimed at reducing pollution in that area, but schemes like the low traffic neighbourhoods are more focussed on reducing the other detrimental impacts of over-use of motor vehicles.

It is accepted that both of these types of scheme will result in some traffic re-routing and therefore pollution may increase slightly in other areas. The benefits to be achieved are felt to outweigh any downsides.

Bus lanes do not in themselves increase congestion. You may have noticed that the bus lanes end before the main junctions. It is junction capacity that determines levels of congestion. The bus lanes just let the buses get further towards the front of the queue at busy times. Outside peak times traffic generally flows relatively freely anyway and the bus lanes make no difference to general traffic.

Sadly, walking and cycling do need to be facilitated. Many people find the speed and volume of traffic to be a barrier to them walking or cycling. They perceive the current situation as unsafe. Schemes like low traffic neighbourhoods remove the through traffic and slow down any other traffic. This makes for a safer, quieter neighbourhood and people feel empowered to walk and cycle more often and reclaim the streets from motor vehicles. They are proven to work.

The situation needs to be put into perspective when trying to get people to use cycles. Only a tiny number of people will change to this mode of transport in Sheffield and then only occasionally. Consider a parent with children, someone carrying shopping, elderly, unfit, people needing to be well dressed etc. not forgetting the hilly nature of our city.

All the road blocks due is to increase traffic  in the next available street.

The idea of a cleaner atmosphere is commendable but a realistic approach is needed..

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Bikes have very good gears these days and anyone with any degree of fitness can get up the hills. They aren’t the barrier that some people seem to think.

Electric bikes are increasingly popular and they breeze up any hill with minimal effort. Leeds are about to introduce a 100% electric bike hire scheme, so it will be interesting to see how they fare. Other hire schemes report that the electric bikes are much more popular than normal ones.

Have you converted from using a car to a bike ?

Riding to work is saving me around £40/month.

(it's more like £80 - i've cancelled my gym membership since i started cycling more)

(and i'm ignoring the wear-and-tear costs of crappy stop-start traffic on my lovely car)

it's the quiet streets on the few LTN's that allow me to do this - some of the traffic filters are new, some are decades old.

14 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Have you converted from using a car to a bike ?

Yes - directly because of the filtered roads.

Thanks SCC !

Edited by ads36
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

And most of us know that's part of the plan...

... and will be trotted out as a 'very good excuse' when SCC decide to extend the CAZ to private vehicles!

People are NOT as daft as SCC seem to think...

... well maybe some are, but they all seem to work for SCC! :roll:

37 minutes ago, ads36 said:

Riding to work is saving me around £40/month.

(it's more like £80 - i've cancelled my gym membership since i started cycling more)

(and i'm ignoring the wear-and-tear costs of crappy stop-start traffic on my lovely car)

it's the quiet streets on the few LTN's that allow me to do this - some of the traffic filters are new, some are decades old.

Yes - directly because of the filtered roads.

Thanks SCC !

That's great as it suits your lifestyle.