Nowt Left In The Coffers Say Scc

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

I was going to point out some of the things that you have done.

Expectations were lower, it was a more ordered disciplined way of life.

No telephones for most people and definitely nothing like the internet and so people tended to mix more in their leisure time.

Pubs only opened for limited hours and the few nightclubs closed earlier than nowadays.

Qualifications did not matter so much as there were plenty of labour intensive jobs available and it was easy to change jobs.

Wages were not very high.

Most people lived in council houses.

5 GCE O levels was considered a very high qualification and hardly anyone went to university but there were proper apprenticeships.

Few people had cars.

Post was delivered before you went to work and there were 3/ editions daily of The Star newspaper.

Working Mens Clubs were packed and people of all ages mixed together to watch the turns.

Mustn't forget the teddy boys with razors and bike chains.

I enjoyed the 1950/60s.

If you do not mind me asking what era were you born in ?

I am not divulging my age, there is no requirement to do so on an anonymous forum.

My only point is lets not pretend the "olden days" were faultless. They weren't.  And gone a bit off topic now really.

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I am not divulging my age, there is no requirement to do so on an anonymous forum.

My only point is lets not pretend the "olden days" were faultless. They weren't.  And gone a bit off topic now really.

Not faultless but could still be enjoyable..

Only asked about your age to see what you were making comparisons to and whether you enjoyed the present or earlier years.

5 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Not faultless but could still be enjoyable..

Only asked about your age to see what you were making comparisons to and whether you enjoyed the present or earlier years.

I have no real opinion. Every decade had its positives and negatives, no time in history is ever "perfect".

Anyway, back to the local authority budget....

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I have no real opinion. Every decade had its positives and negatives, no time in history is ever "perfect".

Anyway, back to the local authority budget....

The local authority budget had money to spend on magnificent Christmas lights in previous years.

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed, things like that the first thing to be binned, and rightly so. If its a straight choice between that, or 100 elderly people needing care they cant afford to pay for themselves, its a no brainer.

Quite right and stop painting zebra crossings in rainbow colours, every little bit helps !

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

In fairness a "price is the same no matter what the journey" scheme is a bit naff, when a 3 stop journey costs the same as a 3 mile one. Yes I am aware London has a similar scheme currently.

Many areas/operators  in the country work to slightly refined versions of that approach - with 'city centre/short-hop' fare lower than if you travel outside those zones, but quite often as a flat rate.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Many areas/operators  in the country work to slightly refined versions of that approach - with 'city centre/short-hop' fare lower than if you travel outside those zones, but quite often as a flat rate.

Yes, personally I dont really agree with but I see the attraction of offering it as a headline-grabber. Same with this capped fare nonsense that only really benefits the casual user.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes, personally I dont really agree with but I see the attraction of offering it as a headline-grabber. Same with this capped fare nonsense that only really benefits the casual user.

It seems to work well in those areas I have visited - quite a number - and it isn't a 'headline grabber' - it has been standard for many years.