Nowt Left In The Coffers Say Scc

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I asked if those who paid more got more services.

do you think they should ?

No, I don't . I believe those who can pay more should pay more and that services should be provided to all who need.

So when I see comments like cyclists should pay road tax, I think "Get f*****, most already do."

7 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Re community festivals, make them pay all costs rather receiving a council handouts, then let them put on what they want.

we only get what we bid for the council decides,they spend fortunes on big events in parks,at least we pay for our festival and dont expect parks to pay and run it,our money comes from the lottery mainly,i believe each park that does events should pay towards it,unlike most do now,that would save lots of money,but its very worrying that theres no money left,is it all down to boris?

7 hours ago, PapaLazarou said:

This will show you where the money goes/went:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2022-07/sheffield-city-council-unaudited-statement-of-accounts-2021-22_0.pdf

And what the biggest issue is:

"Social care remains the main area of cost pressures for the Council. The needs of an increasing number of older people, and people living with 
disabilities, and the pressures on families mean, in common with other Local Authorities, we have to devote an increasing proportion of our 
spending to social care"

There's also the elephant in the room that is inflation. It's not something that's being talk about but inflation is taking a huge bite out of every public service just as it is every family. The Government gave local authorities sometime like a 4% increase on the previous year for their financial settlement in April but inflation is at least double that and predicted to go much higher so effectively the budget has been cut and there's less money available to spend. The increased energy costs for social care alone are going to be huge.

On top of that there's also the Government announcing that most public sector workers would get a pay 'rise' (4% for council staff) but they didn't provided money to pay for the increase so the money has to be taken out of the existing budget.

These things are mandatory costs. The council themselves have no real say in whether they pay them or not.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

31 minutes ago, bassett one said:

we only get what we bid for the council decides,they spend fortunes on big events in parks,at least we pay for our festival and dont expect parks to pay and run it,our money comes from the lottery mainly,i believe each park that does events should pay towards it,unlike most do now,that would save lots of money,but its very worrying that theres no money left,is it all down to boris?

Down to years of Tory underfunding of local authorities.

yes bungling boris has made a mess of lots of things,labour in sheffield have made mistakes and hoped they would be in no10 and then take the begging bowl and hope for the best,the all lot is a mess,but we need to tighten up on lots of things,cut costs like events and get shut of stupid ideas  and wake up

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Nowt to do with this council not managing its resources  properly .  Always someone  else's fault .  Was it great when Labour were in power ?

If by Labour you mean central government, then yes, infinitely better than this current Tory government.

Seemed to me they were far more concerned with improving the lives of the  people of the this country. I'm struggling to think of anything this government has done which achieves that.