Nowt Left In The Coffers Say Scc

11 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Nowt to do with this council not managing its resources  properly .  Always someone  else's fault .  Was it great when Labour were in power ?

Councils all over the country are in *exactly* the same position. even Conservative ones.

(see Northampton)

they've all had their funding cut, massively.

Edited by ads36
  • Like 2

On 02/08/2022 at 20:19, hackey lad said:

This council should be put in special measures 

What exactly would that achieve?

Do you honestly think that Government departments are any better at 'delivering' services? Why do you think government outsources so many functions? 

8 minutes ago, bassett one said:

all the conservitive areas claim they are better off ,is that true?

Which areas exactly? Some Councils have been bailed out. I seem to remember Woking BC threatened to hold a referendum to increase Council tax by a considerable amount, the Government bailed them out so this didn't have to take place. 

Some areas of the Country are able to raise more revenue via Council tax. Sheffield, and other urban areas, have a large proportion of 'Band A' properties, which affects the amount of Council Tax revenue which can be raised. Governments also change the formula which determines the amount of Government grant each authority receives. Also, LA's where property values are higher, are likely to be spending less on providing Adult Social Care- well at least until the Government changes come in to affect- because home owners will have to fund their own care. 

58 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

Which areas exactly? Some Councils have been bailed out. I seem to remember Woking BC threatened to hold a referendum to increase Council tax by a considerable amount, the Government bailed them out so this didn't have to take place. 

Some areas of the Country are able to raise more revenue via Council tax. Sheffield, and other urban areas, have a large proportion of 'Band A' properties, which affects the amount of Council Tax revenue which can be raised. Governments also change the formula which determines the amount of Government grant each authority receives. Also, LA's where property values are higher, are likely to be spending less on providing Adult Social Care- well at least until the Government changes come in to affect- because home owners will have to fund their own care. 

All very good points.

i would reduce spending on events and keep the streets clean ect,then if people want events the friends group can raise cash,reduce waste staff as well in the offices especially housing as thats well over staffed ,offices all over sheffield all closed to the public close them,sell the land/buildings and save save save

On 02/08/2022 at 14:12, harvey19 said:

A lot of old people are having to pay for their care.

Why has there been a change in government funding ?

Well given that it's been cut by around 60% since 2010 perhaps you'd like to make an educated guess?

On 02/08/2022 at 16:46, forgeman said:

Has anyone on this thread mentioned the cost to SCC of pensions?

Government employees in general have some of the best pension schemes around.  NHS, Police, Public servants etc

Yeah. I was private sector for 32 years. I think the best I ever got was 11% from the employer that was a sweetener to close the scheme though, and then dropped to max 8%

Now I'm public sector and I"m sure they said the equivalent of 17% when they auto enrolled me. I have to pay 6.5%.

Wage is £7k Less than I was getting private though.

Also the pension scheme is very inflexible.