The Daily Grumble Thread

I think it's all pretty well explained in this Grauniad article from several years ago

Ricky Gervais, please stop using the word 'mong'

The comedian is back on Twitter but some of his language is not welcome

Anyone who is disabled or who loves someone with a disability knows what that word means because they will have heard it used about them abusively at some stage.

Along with "retard" and "spaz", it's a prominent verbal feature of the bullies' toolkit.

I'm 45 and I know that. Ricky Gervais is 50, so he will definitely know that – besides, he tackles the issue in an episode of Extras in which a boy with Down's syndrome is referred to as a "mongoloid".

Gervais's younger fans may justifiably claim ignorance about the word, but my 17-year-old daughter knows what it means because it was used about her sister, and she herself was called retarded.

The reason that younger people may not have heard it is because of the excellent work done by the Down's Syndrome Association, among others, which has ensured that the word has been pretty much dropped from use.

Whilst the article dates from about 12 years ago, I'm guessing that most folk on this thread are old enough to appreciate the derivation, and why it's generally referred to as offensive.
Youngsters may not know, but our more mature members certainly should.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hackey lad said:

As I said before, no moral fibre in that one . Seen more backbone in a worm .

You do know that you don’t get to say when people post, do t you? You might be an entitled Tory boy, but you’re not in charge.

Of course, you wouldn’t be all huffy and upset if you could post in a civilised way.

It wasn’t me that accused another poster of being “lower than a rapist”.

It wasn’t me that called another poster a “mong”.

If you seriously don’t know the connotations of that word, then I suggest that you spend a bit of time looking it up. You might like to apologise for using it too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prettytom said:

You do know that you don’t get to say when people post, do t you? You might be an entitled Tory boy, but you’re not in charge.

Of course, you wouldn’t be all huffy and upset if you could post in a civilised way.

It wasn’t me that accused another poster of being “lower than a rapist”.

It wasn’t me that called another poster a “mong”.

If you seriously don’t know the connotations of that word, then I suggest that you spend a bit of time looking it up. You might like to apologise for using it too.

No but it was you who accused people, with no proof, of being rape apologists.

9 hours ago, peak4 said:

I think it's all pretty well explained in this Grauniad article from several years ago

Ricky Gervais, please stop using the word 'mong'

The comedian is back on Twitter but some of his language is not welcome

Anyone who is disabled or who loves someone with a disability knows what that word means because they will have heard it used about them abusively at some stage.

Along with "retard" and "spaz", it's a prominent verbal feature of the bullies' toolkit.

I'm 45 and I know that. Ricky Gervais is 50, so he will definitely know that – besides, he tackles the issue in an episode of Extras in which a boy with Down's syndrome is referred to as a "mongoloid".

Gervais's younger fans may justifiably claim ignorance about the word, but my 17-year-old daughter knows what it means because it was used about her sister, and she herself was called retarded.

The reason that younger people may not have heard it is because of the excellent work done by the Down's Syndrome Association, among others, which has ensured that the word has been pretty much dropped from use.

Whilst the article dates from about 12 years ago, I'm guessing that most folk on this thread are old enough to appreciate the derivation, and why it's generally referred to as offensive.
Youngsters may not know, but our more mature members certainly should.

Well said peak4.    So many posters complain of insults from others whilst they are quite happy to be insulting themselves.