Free Gas And Electric ! for some.

7 hours ago, fools said:

Incredibly, only one person has touched on the stupidity of this idea.

Not paying your bills on time has consequences.

What next, steal food from shops.

well, i suppose if its that or starve then people will steal, what would you do if there is no money left for food?

20 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

well, i suppose if its that or starve then people will steal, what would you do if there is no money left for food?

Perhaps think about the context before misconstruing the meaning of a post completely.

Plenty of people still alive grew up without a radiator or gas fire in sight, lets not exaggerate the consequences of turning the central heating down a bit.

Edited by fools

Well we could have solved the problem with nuclear or fracking but weren’t allowed to. We could have followed the super efficient Germans and based our energy security on the friendly Russians. Fact is our successive governments have done bugger all to address the problem. Well, except for becoming environmental enthusiasts when they realised they could tax us for it. As an aside for anyone contemplating civil disobedience let me tell you the following. During the poll tax revolt there was one thing more dispiriting than anything else. It wasn’t the threat of bailiffs or prison, it was the fact that all the old biddies I worked with disapproved of what we were doing. They hated the poll tax but honestly couldn’t understand that we were fighting on their behalf too. To them we were just freeloaders who weren’t pulling our weight. It was a sweet moment though being in a queue of thousands outside the magistrates court when the news of Maggies demise landed. Oh and never forget that your friendly smart meter is actually a ripoff pre payment meter in disguise.

If there's one group of people who'd benefit from poll tax, it's the single old biddies. Bet they wish it was £400pa now instead of 2k.

It only becomes a pre-pay smart meter if you don't pay your bill when it's due. Use it properly, and your bill would have been lower.

Edited by fools

It was 1972 when I first experienced central heating in my own home, prior to that it was gas/coal fires and an electric blanket, and you know what, I never froze to death once. My late mother used to turn off  her heating in winter to save money, which gets me thinking, this is all about money, it always has been and always will be.

9 hours ago, fools said:

wind currently supplying 9% of supply, solar zero.

When the wind stops blowing, you need gas/coal/nuclear as backup.

True enough, it will be a long, long time before fossil fuels stop being used.
But using different methods to reduce the usage of them would help to stop bills going mad, surely?

That's what the green lobby claim.

There's at least one supplier that claims their energy is 100% green, from renewables. They charge the same retail prices as everyone else. The market price for electricity is the market price, the only thing that limits it in the end, is the ability to pay. All their claim means is that they are paying extra for some meaningless certification, so they could charge consumers less if they skipped the virtue signalling.

For zero fossil fuels, it would mean much more nuclear capacity for when there is no wind, decades away at least, take ages to build and costs are enormous. Bit of a risk too, one goes wrong in a small country, then what.

The net zero thing is going to be very expensive and unpleasant for just about everyone. Limits on freedom, travel, cars, gas boilers, massive bills for ineffective heat pumps and insulation.

Edited by fools
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, fools said:

It only becomes a pre-pay smart meter if you don't pay your bill when it's due. Use it properly, and your bill would have been lower.

Smart meters ar not smart and they certainly don't lower your bill. In fact your bill is higher in the first place because you are paying an extra subsidy put on by the supplier to pay for the smart meter rollout, which has cost over £10billion.

Its a smart person that know how to lower the bills.

12 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Smart meters ar not smart and they certainly don't lower your bill. In fact your bill is higher in the first place because you are paying an extra subsidy put on by the supplier to pay for the smart meter rollout, which has cost over £10billion.

Its a smart person that know how to lower the bills.

Incorrect. Until the last few months, having a smart meter allowed you sign up to a cheaper tariff than what a refusenik could get.

They also allow the owner to easily save money by reducing usage.

Meters get replaced routinely, every 20 yrs.

The other points are semantics.

Edited by fools