Is Eurovision Coming To Sheffield.

steep

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

To be pedantic, that is incorrect.

....and yet, WIKI offers:

BBC Manchester (often known as BBC Salford) is the British Broadcasting Corporation regional headquarters for the North West, the largest BBC region in the UK. BBC Manchester is a department of the BBC North Group division.[1] The BBC considers the Manchester department as one of its three main national bases alongside London and Bristol, and has had a presence in the city since launching the 2ZY radio station in 1922.

You got there ahead of me. Media city where both BBC and ITV have operations,is very much in the City of Salford.  

Regardless, I am not sure that's such the persuasive influence to give Manchester advantage as some posters seem to think.  After all, the BBC also has a big presence in Glasgow Pacific Quay, being it's headquarters for the whole Scottish division.   After the closedown of pebble mill, the BBC built a big office, studios and public tour at the Mailbox in Birmingham and still has a presence of around 700 staff.....Any of them could potentially argue they have equal importance.

Given the fact that the venue for the event will be by some sort of Arena and not a BBC studio, I don't think the location of the broadcaster's biggest office is going to be the major factor. They've hosted the event for years in places all around the world and they have just packed up and gone wherever.   

I strongly suspect, capacity, venue availability and financial handshakes are going to be the biggest sways in this decision. You never know, this might be the time when our allegedly "dead", "underused", "poor relation" of an arena finally has its moment.  It will be hilarious if we won the bid just on the simple fact that our venue had the least number and less important pre scheduled bookings to rearrange or cancel.  Always got to love a win by technicality.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zarniwoop said:

An article in today's Times says that it should be Sheffield.

It quotes our links to Ukraine with our twinning with Donetsk and the number of bands that started out in Shefield.

What in earth does the bit in bold have to do with anything? Bizarre journalism.

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

What in earth does the bit in bold have to do with anything? Bizarre journalism.

Yes and no. Liverpool's bid certainly made a big emphasis out of their musical history. I don't see why Sheffield can't do the same.  Just tactically playing the game really.

Edited by ECCOnoob