Old Works Area, Clay Wheels Lane

Just really as I had cause to go up there recently, there is what looks a large ex-industrial area up Clay Wheels La past Sainsburys, Fletchers Bakery etc.

There is a big tall chimney still standing.

Purely out of curiosity, does anyone know/remember what used to be there? Its right next to the Don so I wondered if it was a brickworks.

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, father ted said:

Just really as I had cause to go up there recently, there is what looks a large ex-industrial area up Clay Wheels La past Sainsburys, Fletchers Bakery etc.

There is a big tall chimney still standing.

Purely out of curiosity, does anyone know/remember what used to be there? Its right next to the Don so I wondered if it was a brickworks.

Thanks in advance.

That was the old Union Carbide-if big tall chimney is a clue- works, before that it was British Acheson Electrodes, which became UC.

21 hours ago, lottiecass said:

It's changed for the better since uc closed, the surrounding area was covered in dust and I know how bad it was when haymaking in the field behind.

That dust covered the Shirecliffe area and the residents were breathing it in.

21 hours ago, lottiecass said:

It's changed for the better since uc closed, the surrounding area was covered in dust and I know how bad it was when haymaking in the field behind.

I had a work mate who lived near the Middlewood Tavern, they were afraid to put the washing out to dry somedays.