How Do We Save Cash On Energy Bills?

18 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Not really as I have never maintained otherwise and it also depends on the circumstances.

You only have to look at that favourite site called WHICH which to see why. They at least know what they are talking about.

That's the modern problem though, the "too much faffing about" syndrome. It's easy to plan ahead if you are sensible and wise enough. What's more economical to the cash conscious, a 15 minute takeaway costing £15 or a meal produced at home costing half the price that takes 1 hour to prepare? 

I agree, that's why a slow cooker is better for those two thirds without a gas hob!

Simples.....:)

You've argued at length about how efficient these things are supposedly, without producing a single figure. Efficiency is totally irrelevant, my point has always been about cost differentials.

I take which reviews with a pinch of salt too. As well as energy efficiency labels, and mpg ratings.

Wisdom again? Chucking stuff in a pan requires minimal planning or preparation, and zero wisdom.

Tell that to someone trying to get the kids ready for school on their way out to work.

Edited by fools

15 hours ago, fools said:

Having seen kitchen devices go wrong, I wouldn't advise leaving heating elements or washing machines unattended.

This is true.

I switch my fridge freezer off when I can’t keep a close eye on it.

You can’t be too sure,

Edited by sibon

5 hours ago, fools said:

Oh at last, you've finally acknowledged that gas is cheaper than electricity. 3.5 times cheaper in fact, sort of relevant don't you think.

Per kilowatt hour its cheaper, aye. Now you need to account for how efficient (or unefficient) an electric cooking device is against a gas one. I have no dog in this fight but surely if you left a (as an example) gas oven on for 3 hours at 200 degrees its not going to use the same number of kilowatt hours as an electric one?

Edited by HeHasRisen

going slightly off road there.

at current prices, you can cook chilli con carne on a gas hob for about 4pence in 15 mins start to finish. at 7p/kwh

or you can cook it on an electrically heated hob, in 15 minutes.

or, if you have the patience, you can stick it in an electrically heated 200w pot for 8 hours. at 27p/kwh

Edited by fools

Why not do a test to compare? Plugin meters are about £15 if you don't have a smartmeter.

That's the old wives tale I'm trying to challenge, a slow cooker is effectively a pot on a thermostatically controlled electric hob, there should be little difference.

Gas hob, typical meal with one or two pans, is about 0.8kwh total. Oven 45 mins at 200c the same, with residual heat.

Edited by fools

4 hours ago, fools said:

That's the old wives tale I'm trying to challenge, a slow cooker is effectively a pot on a thermostatically controlled electric hob, there should be little difference.

A slow cooker is nothing like a pot on a hob as the reason they cooks economically is because they are well insulated unlike a gas or electric hob that wastes residual heat by releasing in into the environment.

Plenty of information out there that confirm that but of course you don't believe insulation works and don't want to read anything (which? etc) that goes against your ideas. 

BTW a smart meter would not be able to tell you as its incapable of monitoring individual appliances or sockets.

Edited by Dromedary