How Do We Save Cash On Energy Bills?

5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

BTW a smart meter would not be able to tell you as its incapable of monitoring individual appliances or sockets.

Really? If you think hard, I'm sure you'll find a way to do it.

They come in all shapes and sizes, and prices. The one in hehas's post has an uninsulated glass cover, just like a lot of pans, and 'Caution hot surface' printed on the side .. so not much insulation going on. Oven's on the other hand, cool to the touch.

If you can find a free Which article comparing the energy differences between cooking on a hob, an oven, and a crockpot, I'll read it.

You've yet to post any energy claims, why so reticent?

Edited by fools

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Is any of this inaccurate?

Marketing blogs all seem to follow the same pattern, throw a load of random figures at the wall in the hope that something sticks, and repeatedly claim they use less than a 'lightbulb', so they must be efficient.

Edited by fools

3 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

No quite, he said "Plugin meters are about £15 if you don't have a smartmeter."

Now you have another problem as well in that they only monitor one socket at a time.

Calculators are also fairly cheap. And biros. And notepads.

Guest makapaka
On 30/08/2022 at 21:58, sibon said:

Wouldn’t it  be great if our energy minister was sat at table with other EU energy ministers to negotiate our share of any benefit across Europe.

it’s a shame no one ever thought of joining the  EU - so in times of crisis we weren’t just some outlier in the North Sea trying to sort it out ourselves whilst largely dependent on others.

Anyway what with all the sewage being pumped into our seas I’m off to the airport to join the mile long queues at the airport - blue passport at the ready - I’m hoping to be able to bring back a few staples for the cupboards - what with the shelves of my local shop looking like they’ve been ransacked by looters.

Rule Britannia!

Replaced the electric towel rail that was here when we moved in with a dual fuel one so now part of the central heating, fitting a plinth heater (part of central heating again) in the kitchen as that's never had any heating. Thermal blinds, thicker curtains, insulating tape where there are gaps around windows and doors etc. The usual stuff. Just going to have to see how it goes.