How Do We Save Cash On Energy Bills?

23 hours ago, geared said:

They're not allowed to claim heating allowance if they live out of the country are they?

Depends where they live - 

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

Yes, if;

"You live in Switzerland or a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

but 

"You cannot get the payment if you live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain because the average winter temperature is higher than the warmest region of the UK."

So head for southern Italy / Sicily / Sardinia then 😎

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2022 at 22:52, bassett one said:

JUST THOUGHT we can swop ideas to help one another to get through this winter,i say put more clothes on and go to bed early, other ideas?

If you want to save money on your energy bill, turn it off!

Last few winters I've only had a two-bar electric fire on in the through-lounge,  and I've put the electric blankets on half an hour in the sons' rooms - feelgood factor - before bedtime.

If I was outdoors in the afternoon we'd all keep short jackets on -  layers if we don't go out.  

Didn't feel the cold at all.

On 27/08/2022 at 18:00, Anna B said:

Good question. It might actually be cheaper to do that.

Then again maybe not, once you factor in the cost of healthcare insurance for the elderly, and the fact that many insurers now restrict length of cover (well short of the maximum 90 days, which Brits could spend in Spain in the winter; I’ve seen quotes for 30 days max).

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

(…)

"You cannot get the payment if you live in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain because the average winter temperature is higher than the warmest region of the UK."

(…)

I get the others, but Northern / north east France (same latitude as Switzerland and north of it, plus some southern-central bits like the Jura) is significantly colder than most of the UK in winter.

Routinely in the minuses throughout the day in January-February, with double-digit minuses throughout the night. Basically, the furthest away from the ocean/sea, the colder.

12 hours ago, cressida said:

Last few winters I've only had a two-bar electric fire on in the through-lounge,  and I've put the electric blankets on half an hour in the sons' rooms - feelgood factor - before bedtime.

If I was outdoors in the afternoon we'd all keep short jackets on -  layers if we don't go out.  

Didn't feel the cold at all.

Improperly heated and ventilated houses are prone to mould and a range of other nasties.

What might seem like saving a few bob might end up causing some serious health issues later on.

14 hours ago, West 77 said:

Exactly correct.  

We've been spoilt in this country especially by the welfare state.

You might have been, but others haven't.

There are many people with respiratory or neurological illnesses, or those with or recovering from cancer who are really going to feel the cold this winter.

As well as the elderly, these people cannot simply turn the heating off. They need the heat to keep well.