How Do We Save Cash On Energy Bills?

8 minutes ago, fools said:

Oh dear.

Let us know when electricity is cheaper than gas.

A slow cooker can easily be used with a gas hob or a gas oven if it's the type with the metal bowl. Simply remove the bowl from the base.I have that type but my oven and hob are electric.

44 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

A slow cooker can easily be used with a gas hob or a gas oven if it's the type with the metal bowl. Simply remove the bowl from the base.I have that type but my oven and hob are electric.

saucepan..

At least one of these slow cooker fans has a gas hob, which is the cheapest way to cook - quite relevant given the thread title

46 minutes ago, sibon said:

Imagine If a device was freely available, that allowed you to quantify your energy usage from different sources.

That would be a handy tool, instead of guessing. 

Post your results.

Edited by fools

14 minutes ago, fools said:

saucepan..

At least one of these slow cooker fans has a gas hob, which is the cheapest way to cook - quite relevant given the thread title

You're probably quite right. I'm sure you can use a saucepan 

15 minutes ago, fools said:

At least one of these slow cooker fans has a gas hob, which is the cheapest way to cook - 

Yeah but would you leave a saucepan on a gas stove unattended for more than half an hour let alone all day?

9 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

You're probably quite right. I'm sure you can use a saucepan 

Yeah but would you leave a saucepan on a gas stove unattended for more than half an hour let alone all day?

No, it would be inside my stomach with the pots washed by that time.

I wouldn't leave a slow cooker unattended overnight either..

My argument is really about the misinformation surrounding the cost benefits of using such a device.

3 minutes ago, fools said:

My argument is really about the misinformation surrounding the cost benefits of using such a device.

But what you don't seem to understand or acknowledge is that it is all relative and depends on the situation.

You keep banging on about how gas is cheaper (at the moment) but fail to understand that for those without a gas cooker, which is the majority in the UK, it will be a lot cheaper and more convenient to use a slow cooker. Old stats I know but in 2017 65% of households used electric for cooking and I expect that to be higher now.

You could of course also use the old fashioned hay box method, the precursor to the slow cooker, to save even more as it does not use any energy at all to cook.

39 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

But what you don't seem to understand or acknowledge is that it is all relative and depends on the situation.

You keep banging on about how gas is cheaper (at the moment) but fail to understand that for those without a gas cooker, which is the majority in the UK, it will be a lot cheaper and more convenient to use a slow cooker. Old stats I know but in 2017 65% of households used electric for cooking and I expect that to be higher now.

You could of course also use the old fashioned hay box method, the precursor to the slow cooker, to save even more as it does not use any energy at all to cook.

Oh at last, you've finally acknowledged that gas is cheaper than electricity. 3.5 times cheaper in fact, sort of relevant don't you think.

A lot cheaper? Where is the research that proves that this device (that costs the same as a light bulb to run, honest guv) is a lot cheaper to use than a pressure cooker, or an oven, or a saucepan, or a microwave. Plenty of hype and misinformation out there, all quoting completely different figures, not much science.

Waiting 8 hours for your meal to be ready is hardly convenient, most families get itchy if their takeaway isn't at the door in 15 minutes.

I take survey results with a pinch of salt, newspaper filler. If a third of the public had a gas hob, they'd be a bit daft to cook with electricity.

Edited by fools

9 minutes ago, fools said:

Oh at last, you've finally acknowledged that gas is cheaper than electricity. 3.5 times cheaper in fact, sort of relevant don't you think.

A lot cheaper? Where is the research that proves that this device (that costs the same as a light bulb to run, honest guv) is a lot cheaper to use than a pressure cooker, or an oven, or a saucepan. Plenty of hype and misinformation out there, all quoting completely different figures, not much science.

Waiting 8 hours for your meal to be ready is hardly convenient, most families get itchy if their takeaway isn't at the door in 15 minutes.

I take survey results with a pinch of salt, newspaper filler. If a third of the public had a gas hob, they'd be a bit daft to cook with electricity.

My bold 

But it's not about waiting. That's not why people use them. It's for convenience. Throw your ingredients in when you are about to leave the house in the morning and it's ready and waiting when you get home.

15 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold 

But it's not about waiting. That's not why people use them. It's for convenience. Throw your ingredients in when you are about to leave the house in the morning and it's ready and waiting when you get home.

we'll have to differ on it being more convenient, chucking stuff in a pan and letting it simmer, is much the same.

The advertising is mostly about running costs, which is the context of this thread.

Having seen kitchen devices go wrong, I wouldn't advise leaving heating elements or washing machines unattended.

Edited by fools

57 minutes ago, fools said:

Not really as I have never maintained otherwise and it also depends on the circumstances.

A lot cheaper? Where is the research that proves that this device (that costs the same as a light bulb to run, honest guv) is a lot cheaper to use than a pressure cooker, or an oven, or a saucepan, or a microwave. Plenty of hype and misinformation out there, all quoting completely different figures, not much science.

You only have to look at that favourite site called WHICH to see why. They at least know what they are talking about.

That's the modern problem though, the "too much faffing about" syndrome. It's easy to plan ahead if you are sensible and wise enough. What's more economical to the cash conscious, a 15 minute takeaway costing £15 or a meal produced at home costing half the price that takes 1 hour to prepare? 

I agree, that's why a slow cooker is better for those two thirds without a gas hob!

Simples.....:)

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny