Civil Disobedience Uk

With the cost of living crisis, and energy price cap almost doubling today; what form will civil disobedience in the UK likely take?

Protests? Marches? Mass none payment of bills? Rioting?

Or just do nothing and trust that the people running the country have our best interests at heart?

Edited by Waldo

43 minutes ago, Waldo said:

With the cost of living crisis, and energy price cap almost doubling today; what form will civil disobedience in the UK likely take?

Should we blame the Government for the price of energy?

They are only responsible for 50% of our inflation, the rest is external factors.

1 hour ago, Delayed said:

Another 'i hate the government' thread. 🙄

Agreed. 👍

It seems that the people in the main talking about rioting and civil disobedience etc are the very ones who will not be taking part so all they can do is moan and hope others do it for them.

Edited by Dromedary

I think there'll be major repercussions when these price increases come in. They're so spectacularly huge that I don't think many people can still grasp what they'll be expected to pay and see it as some kind of futuristic fantasy. I'm sure there'll be demonstrations and riots just as there were over the poll tax but worse, we'll see a huge increase in crime with the flash mob looting incidents we've seen in London and Nottingham spreading throughout the country and burglaries, muggings, shoplifting, car thefts etc going through the roof. There'll be a huge demand for food banks and there'll be more and more homeless people on the streets. I'm surprised I haven't heard any reference to the privatisations of the Thatcher government as these have played a major role in the increased prices we've already had to pay and the ones coming up, despite ministers reassuring us at the time that competition would lead to long term downward pressure on prices.

We need a government to pass emergency legislation and create a new nationalised industry which would be run as a public service, not for profit, with the people running them getting reasonable salaries and no shareholders. We need to be self-sufficient with new nuclear power plants being built and although I hate to say it, fracking but also as much coming fron renewables as possible. We won't get it from the Tories but it's something Labour might consider or even a coalition between the Greens and Lib Dems.

18 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I think there'll be major repercussions when these price increases come in. They're so spectacularly huge that I don't think many people can still grasp what they'll be expected to pay and see it as some kind of futuristic fantasy. I'm sure there'll be demonstrations and riots just as there were over the poll tax but worse, we'll see a huge increase in crime with the flash mob looting incidents we've seen in London and Nottingham spreading throughout the country and burglaries, muggings, shoplifting, car thefts etc going through the roof. There'll be a huge demand for food banks and there'll be more and more homeless people on the streets. I'm surprised I haven't heard any reference to the privatisations of the Thatcher government as these have played a major role in the increased prices we've already had to pay and the ones coming up, despite ministers reassuring us at the time that competition would lead to long term downward pressure on prices.

We need a government to pass emergency legislation and create a new nationalised industry which would be run as a public service, not for profit, with the people running them getting reasonable salaries and no shareholders. We need to be self-sufficient with new nuclear power plants being built and although I hate to say it, fracking but also as much coming fron renewables as possible. We won't get it from the Tories but it's something Labour might consider or even a coalition between the Greens and Lib Dems.

I Genuinely hope you are wrong.

23 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I think there'll be major repercussions when these price increases come in. They're so spectacularly huge that I don't think many people can still grasp what they'll be expected to pay and see it as some kind of futuristic fantasy. I'm sure there'll be demonstrations and riots just as there were over the poll tax but worse, we'll see a huge increase in crime with the flash mob looting incidents we've seen in London and Nottingham spreading throughout the country and burglaries, muggings, shoplifting, car thefts etc going through the roof.

Civil disobedience when it comes to flash riots and looting will be swiftly dealt with. People now rely solely on mobile phones and the internet for communication and that is now the big weak point as it is very easy now for those systems to be taken offline en mass so no flash rioting. It has happened in other countries when threatened and will also happen here. I suggest buying some shortwave or CB radios just in case!

There'll be a huge demand for food banks and there'll be more and more homeless people on the streets.

And if we get civil disobedience and riots, that will cause even worse chaos and create even more problems for the general public.

I'm surprised I haven't heard any reference to the privatisations of the Thatcher government as these have played a major role in the increased prices we've already had to pay and the ones coming up, despite ministers reassuring us at the time that competition would lead to long term downward pressure on prices.

We have many who have made reference on SF but by and large you won't find much reference to privatisations in the media because it has very little to do with the current world situation and the fact that fuel, gas, oil etc is traded which then inflates prices almost overnight. The war in Ukraine is the main driver for the sudden increase in fuel costs and the subsequent knock on effect of inflation. The OPEC members are laughing all the way to the bank because they are the ones who are grossly profiteering from those rises. It is in their power to reduce costs and up supplies to counter the effect but they won't.

The above is very futuristic and unlikely to happen anytime soon or quick enough to make much difference.

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinney