Civil Disobedience Uk

5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Civil disobedience when it comes to flash riots and looting will be swiftly dealt with. People now rely solely on mobile phones and the internet for communication and that is now the big weak point as it is very easy now for those systems to be taken offline en mass so no flash rioting. It has happened in other countries when threatened and will also happen here. I suggest buying some shortwave or CB radios just in case!

And if we get civil disobedience and riots, that will cause even worse chaos and create even more problems for the general public.

We have many who have made reference on SF but by and large you won't find much reference to privatisations in the media because it has very little to do with the current world situation and the fact that fuel, gas, oil etc is traded which then inflates prices almost overnight. The war in Ukraine is the main driver for the sudden increase in fuel costs and the subsequent knock on effect of inflation. The OPEC members are laughing all the way to the bank because they are the ones who are grossly profiteering from those rises. It is in their power to reduce costs and up supplies to counter the effect but they won't.

The above is very futuristic and unlikely to happen anytime soon or quick enough to make much difference.

Of course you won't find much about privatisation in the Tory owned media, and it has everything to do with the current world situation. It's been 40 years in the making, but now the pigeons are finally coming home to roost. Privatisation is the result of Free Market Economics which was supposed to stimulate competition which it did at first, but as the big fish grew they ate up all the little fish, because they could afford to buy out the competition. Now we have less competition than before, with many businesses now part of huge Corporate chains, albeit cunningly disguised.

We now live in a divided society of winners (the few) and losers (you, me and everyone else, the many.) Forget the side shows such as the war in Ukraine; it's just an excuse, as was the pandemic. This situation was predicted long before that. 

They didn't tell you the truth about the banking crisis in 2008, and they won't tell you the truth about this either.  This is all part of the same problem. We sold all the family silver and put the money on the wrong horse. We now find ourselves trying to survive by flogging the betting slips to the gullible. 

They won't tell you the truth about this either....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

I was at the Poll Tax er, Event, absolutely crazy, incredible violent but agreed different times, the 2011 'trainer' riots saw very heavy criminal charges, fast track magistrates, etc, now new protest laws, huge amount of CCTV,

lots of more crime, shoplifting, etc, to come though

also political riots are quite rare, its allso usually the young, was in the Poll Tax, some of the atttacks on town halls were insane,  they will go on the streets about Identity Politics, etc though.

Starmer should be pointing all this out, Corbyn certainly would be

I think the Poll Tax riots in 1989/ 90 and the looting of 2011 are 2 different things. 

Civil disobedience is one thing, but the looting of trainers, TVs etc. didn't have any political message behind it, other than greed. imho

Edited by Mister M

9 hours ago, Waldo said:

With the cost of living crisis, and energy price cap almost doubling today; what form will civil disobedience in the UK likely take?

Protests? Marches? Mass none payment of bills? Rioting?

Or just do nothing and trust that the people running the country have our best interests at heart?

I've  already burned my bra 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I think the Poll Tax riots in 1989/ 90 and the looting of 2011 are 2 different things. 

Civil disobedience is one thing, but the looting of trainers, TVs etc. didn't have any political message behind it, other than greed. imho

I know, i was pointing out how robust the 2011 riots were dealt with, though police really went for the PTR organisers.

Just now, gamezone07 said:

I know, i was pointing out how robust the 2011 riots were dealt with, though police really went for the PTR organisers.

I think it’s pretty much the same with any country these days; government tightly monitor and control the population. People in power tend to like the status quo.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I think it’s pretty much the same with any country these days; government tightly monitor and control the population. People in power tend to like the status quo.

Very worrying IMO,

First, that people are so dissatisfied with the status quo they feel the need to protest.

And 

Second, that governments are clamping down / reducing the populations right to protest. 

Clearly the ballot box is no longer working effectively, and we are being dragged by the nose into fascist territory.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Very worrying IMO,

First, that people are so dissatisfied with the status quo they feel the need to protest.

And 

Second, that governments are clamping down / reducing the populations right to protest. 

Clearly the ballot box is no longer working effectively, and we are being dragged by the nose into fascist territory.

No need to drag by the nose. There are plenty of stupid people who are easily led.

People voluntarily voted for Brexit and for Thatcher.

It is hard to imagine anything more fascistic than an ultra right wing Tory government, or a xenophobic referendum.

2 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

The new Police and Crime Bill, which was introduced a few months ago, limits even further people's right to protest.

It's interesting that the Government can find the time to limit people's ability to protest at a time of crisis; but cannot seem to find the time or spare a Minister to answer questions on behalf of people on programmes like Newsnight or similar. Nor can they truncate their ridiculously protracted leadership election. 

It's damned annoying because everyone knows that who ever wins is going to have to take more action to help people, yet the way both of them are talking, the only thing people are interested in is gender neutral toilets, statues, cutting taxes, or who is the true heir to Thatcher.

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Very worrying IMO,

And 

It wouldn't surprise me if this deliberate crisis was to nudge us in the direction of a universal income. Make as many people jobless as possible then when they are desperate enough they'll grab it with both hands.

"You will own nothing and be happy".