Eddie Izzard - Potential Sheffield Lab Mp?

Eddie Izzard hopes to be selected by Labour to stand as a candidate for the Sheffield Central constituency. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-62687966.amp

Whatever your views,  wouldn't it be a bit of a kick in the teeth for all the hard working local politicians & Lab activists,  to have Izzard selected for probably one of the safest Lab seats in the country? 

Edited by Baron99

At least she has lived in Sheffield.

As Sheffield city centre is rapidly increasing in population  Sheffield Central constituency and will be shrinking in area. 

It is a prime target for the Greens. 

The political interest will benefit Sheffield.

He was born in Yemen (Aden).

Edited by Annie Bynnol

45 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Whatever your views,  wouldn't it be a bit of a kick in the teeth for all the hard working local politicians & Lab activists,  to have Izzard selected for probably one of the safest Lab seats in the country? 

To be honest, this is what happens all over the country. The fact that Eddie Izzard is famous just makes it more noticeable.

Prominent Westminster figures are parachuted in to safe seats that they otherwise have little to do with (i.e. never lived, worked etc. in the area before).

It can be galling, but at the same time, being an MP can be as much a 'professional'* skill as much as simply being a well-meaning, passionate local, so it's not really any different from any other job being filled by a non-local.  When you look at football clubs for example, it's actually pretty rare to have a manager who is local these days...

*I use the term very loosely.

29 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

At least she has lived in Sheffield.

As Sheffield city centre is rapidly increasing in population  Sheffield Central constituency and will be shrinking in area. 

It is a prime target for the Greens. 

The political interest will benefit Sheffield.

He was born in Yemen (Aden).

Now I'm not a Lab supporter but I know that Izzard is.   Didn't he /  she tout themselves at one stage to be the Lab candidate fir London Mayor some years ago?  So it now seems he / she has sniffed out the fact that a 'safe' Lab seat is going to be up for grabs. 

My point was wouldn't it be a bit of a kick in the teeth for all the hard working local politicians & Lab activists,  to have Izzard selected for probably one of the safest Lab seats in the country?   There are many locals with far greater knowledge of what Sheffield's about & what the issues are who are time served in local politics & local Lab activities. 

I remember that it was once said that EX-MP,  Meg Munn was out in all weathers delivering Lab literature to various areas of Sheffield from her early teens. 

Short memories.

Sheffield Central is very much considered a marginal seat. 

The current massive majority is due to Brexit  because the electorate of this seat in the last election were voting to remain. 

In 2010 Liberal Democrats (Paul Scriven) lost by 146 votes because Broomhill ward  and parts Ecclesall became part of the Constituency.

These areas had previously combined Liberal and Labour votes tactically to remove the Conservatives councillors and the Conservative MP in the Hallam Constituency.

This electorate is known to have one of the highest percentage of 'floating voters' which will attract the Greens.