Eddie Izzard - Potential Sheffield Lab Mp?

28 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Short memories.

Sheffield Central is very much considered a marginal seat. 

The current massive majority is due to Brexit  because the electorate of this seat in the last election were voting to remain. 

In 2010 Liberal Democrats (Paul Scriven) lost by 146 votes because Broomhill ward  and parts Ecclesall became part of the Constituency.

These areas had previously combined Liberal and Labour votes tactically to remove the Conservatives councillors and the Conservative MP in the Hallam Constituency.

This electorate is known to have one of the highest percentage of 'floating voters' which will attract the Greens. 

A marginal seat with a 27000 majority two elections running don’t think so! 

neither the greens nor Lib Dems have a chance of overturning that unless the Labour Party screw up and put forwards a candidate the masses don’t go for……. Oh wait a minute how’s this failed comedian going to fair? Will them what vote for the proverbial red thing pinned to a donkey embrace this person from the London centric?  Might have to import more students as part the deal?

How is Eddie Izzard a "failed comedian"? Filled arenas ffs.

Liking the dress or not is a totally different, and somewhat, irrelevant issue that only the insecure have any problem with. So most contributors to this thread, as it happens. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 3

So Sheffield arena then city hall London riverside etc  now! All good things come to an end someday and now he she wants a proper job as the op suggests in place of hard working labour activists one or two who are miffed already 

who cares if izzard studied here who cares if his pr team had him doing the save the lead mill what Sheffield central needs is a potential candidate to help bring this city upwards by the scruff of the neck if needs be

imho izzard will not be that candidate and that majority will diminish if he is selected and forced onto the local party

38 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

A marginal seat with a 27000 majority two elections running don’t think so! 

neither the greens nor Lib Dems have a chance of overturning that unless the Labour Party screw up and put forwards a candidate the masses don’t go for……. Oh wait a minute how’s this failed comedian going to fair? Will them what vote for the proverbial red thing pinned to a donkey embrace this person from the London centric?  Might have to import more students as part the deal?

The Liberal Democrats lost the 2010 election by 146.

The Greens selected the Leader of the Green Party as the candidate in 2015.

The overwhelming desire to 'remain' led to the most recent huge Labour majorities.

The Greens claim that the voting in the most recent Council elections in the wards in the Constituency were:

Green 9759

Labour 7862

Con 1729

Lib Dem 1006

The Greens also believe that the new boundaries of Sheffield Central will benefit them. Like many I am not moving  but the constituency boundary is and I will be back in Hallam.

You may well be right about the 'parachuting in' business, and the selection process will attract a lot of attention as will her 'fame'. With the election two yeas away, when she will be 62, nothing will be done and dusted until the candidates declare. 

I am sure that Eddie would put Sheffield in lights. Very intelligent and super human fit with an untameable imagination. You would have to let Eddie role with it as none of us would be on the same wavelength to see the vision until it is created.

10 minutes ago, dan_999uk said:

Isn't the selection done by the Constituency Labour Party, ie the hard working local politicians & Lab activists?

Indeed. Though I'm sure there is plenty of external pressure to make the 'right' choice, if it's someone the wider party wants in place.

Eddie wasn't born in Sheffield, but she went to university here. like Olivia Blake and Harry Harpham.

Fair enough, didn't know she studied here - but I think my general point in response to Baron99 still stands; relative outsiders coming in to be the MP is not a new or unusual phenomenon.

Eddie Izzard is a very clever man, a multi-lingual,  left leaning Europhile, a high profile celebrity, who can run rings around your average candidate and probably around most politicians. He would certainly raise the profile of Sheffield too. He's an original free thinker who doesn't cow tow to anyone and maybe that's what politics needs. He'd be totally bemused by the goings on in parliament

That said, he's not to everyone's taste, and I would imagine he'd have as many detractors as supporters. Interesting times.....

21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Eddie Izzard is a very clever man, a multi-lingual,  left leaning Europhile, a high profile celebrity, who can run rings around your average candidate and probably around most politicians. He would certainly raise the profile of Sheffield too. He's an original free thinker who doesn't cow tow to anyone and maybe that's what politics needs. He'd be totally bemused by the goings on in parliament

That said, he's not to everyone's taste, and I would imagine he'd have as many detractors as supporters. Interesting times.....

Just for reference, Eddie is a Woman now.   It's 'she'.

She is clever. She is high profile but I doubt she runs rings around anything. She is a ultimately a comedian, a performer. What exactly puts her in such a superior position to be running local politics and know the ins and outs of this city??  

Funny how people banging about Boris being nothing but a showman. What the hell do do they think Izzard would be.

Once again the tribal war of red vs blue is happening. Once again it's all about the glitz and glamour and sound bites and tit for tat over who one supports to be prime minister rather than focusing on what what needs actually need to be served. Focusing on what the candidate for the local constituency is supposed to be looking after.  I'll be very surprised if she actually has a clue as to what her real responsibilities are going to be. The amount of in-depth research and knowledge to deal with the vast amounts of paperwork and consultation and drafting and management and negotiation and policy and legislation that's going to be required for such a position.

Whilst we all have to start somewhere, at least even the worst of the candidates normally have some sort of hands on political, journalistic, legal, banking or executive, experience.  

But then again if reality TV stars are getting in the White House and comics can become president of Ukraine anything is possible I guess..

Edited by ECCOnoob