Eddie Izzard - Potential Sheffield Lab Mp?

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Eddie Izzard has raised over £million for charities, and has been very active in the Labour party for years. He was on the National Executive of the Labour party at one time, and also stood for Mayor of London. He's no slouch when it comes to politics. I suspect he thinks he can't do any worse than the shower that's in now, and in that I think he's probably right. He's an original thinker and heaven knows we need one of those these days. Don't let the genderfluid thing put you off, he's simply asserting his right to be who he wants to be which is very much in character. 

My bold. 

Izzard only secured a seat on Lab's NEC due to the individual in front of him (at the time he, was a he),  Christine Shawcroft,  being forced to resign over claims of anti-semitism. 

Here's what appears to be Izzard's real reason for wanting a Parliamentary seat. 

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/15/transgender-comic-eddie-izzards-political-ambitions-suffer-a-major-blow/

He / She wants to be the first transgender MP.    The link is from a piece way back in 2018.  IF  this is the case then it appears it's more about him / her & the attitude of I really don't care where I get elected,  as long as as I get elected somewhere,  just to go down in history.

It appears to be a full fime job being Ms Izzard let alone also finding time to be a full-time potential constituency MP? 

Edited by Baron99

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Izzard only secured a seat on Lab's NEC due to the individual in front of him (at the time he, was a he),  Christine Shawcroft,  being forced to resign over claims of anti-semitism. 

Here's what appears to be Izzard's real reason for wanting a Parliamentary seat. 

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/15/transgender-comic-eddie-izzards-political-ambitions-suffer-a-major-blow/

He / She wants to be the first transgender MP.    The link is from a piece way back in 2018.  IF  this is the case then it appears it's more about him / her & the attitude of "I really don't care where I get elected,  as long as as I get elected somewhere,  just to go down in history." 

Oh well he'll be disappointed that Jamie Wallis has beat him to that particular accolade 

33 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Oh well he'll be disappointed that Jamie Wallis has beat him to that particular accolade 

I:ve had a brief look but can't see any evidence that Jamie Wallis (Conservative -  how inclusive is the Conservative Party these days compared to the rest?),  has turned up in a twin-set,  pearls & high heels yet to the Hoc? 

Unless you can provide different evidence, I'd say that this would be more important to Izzard. attending the Hoc as a transgender person,  than sorting out issues for people living in the Central Sheffield constituency. 

Also a number of people on here keep going on about Izzard might stand a good chance of being elected.   Well first,  Izzard has to get through the selection stages.   If Izzard passes this,  it's ok to speculate that Izzard might attract the young student vote,  (if they manage to vote),  but what about the large ethnic vote in places like the Lansdown estate with their more conservative (small 'c')  votes?.

9 hours ago, lazarus said:

He’s a joke, he looks like Desperate Dan in drag.

Strangely,  you never see him / her in the same room as 'actress / presenter'  Denise Welch?

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I:ve had a brief look but can't see any evidence that Jamie Wallis (Conservative -  how inclusive is the Conservative Party these days compared to the rest?),  has turned up in a twin-set,  pearls & high heels yet to the Hoc? 

Unless you can provide different evidence.   I'd say that this would be more important to Izzard than sorting out issues for people living in the Central Sheffield constituency. 

I'm pretty sure Eddie Izzard hasn't transitioned from M to F. 

Jamie Wallis has said that he does want to start transitioning 'a.s.a.p'.

Not that any of this is anyone else's business. 

Edited by Mister M

12 minutes ago, prince al said:

Why come here? Why doesn’t he stand in Islington or  some other gentrified constituency? 
Does he think we are a soft touch?

As with most areas of London, parts of Islington are gentrified, parts of it are riven with poverty. 

Anyway I don't think there's a vacancy for an MP in Islington yet 

44 minutes ago, prince al said:

Why come here? Why doesn’t he stand in Islington or  some other gentrified constituency? 
Does he think we are a soft touch?

Probably because the opportunity has arisen for a relatively safe Labour seat. 

It's not unusual to parachute likely candidates into safe constituency seats, it happens quite often.

I'm not saying Eddie Izzard is a shoe in, it will depend on him/her being chosen as the candidate, and that depends on who else he's up against, their loyalty to the Labour party, and what they have to say.

Generally speaking they don't chose candidates who are going to rock the boat, but the candidate who has the best chance of winning the seat.

Interesting.