Eddie Izzard - Potential Sheffield Lab Mp?

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

rather than a failed "comedian" I would sooner have a person who cares about the area and has ideas to make changes that are needed and the wisdom to identify those that are not. 

This looks to me to be a person looking for a career where he can sit back and take the money for little or no effort. I may be wrong but I doubt it

I know what you mean, but the previous MPs who presumably 'cared about Sheffield' haven't done a great job or raised Sheffield's profile have they? Maybe it's time for the fresh pair of eyes of an outsider who can often see things those closer in can't see.

And there's nothing 'failed' about Eddie Izzard's career. He no longer needs to work at all, but is still very active. He works hard at everything he takes on and enjoys challenge.

He's always been clever and satirical, and able to put his finger on the heart of the matter. He obviously feels ready for a change of direction.

Edited by Anna B
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I know what you mean, but the previous MPs who presumably 'cared about Sheffield' haven't done a great job or raised Sheffield's profile have they? Maybe it's time for the fresh pair of eyes of an outsider who can often see things those closer in can't see.

And there's nothing 'failed' about Eddie Izzard's career. He no longer needs to work at all, but is still very active. He works hard at everything he takes on and enjoys challenge.

He's always been clever and satirical, and able to put his finger on the heart of the matter. He obviously feels ready for a change of direction.

Sounds like he's " changed direction" a few times 

25 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Sounds like he's " changed direction" a few times 

I think this statement says it all 🙄

Izzard, 58, has previously spoken about her gender-fluid identity and having modes. Earlier in her career she identified as a transvestite, saying she felt like “a complete boy plus half a girl” and referring to herself as “a lesbian trapped in a man’s body”.

In 2017, she told the Hollywood Reporter: “I am essentially transgender. I have boy mode and girl mode. I do feel I have boy genetics and girl genetics.”

in 2020, Eddie Izzard has adopted the pronouns “she” and “her”, saying she wants “to be based in girl mode from now on”.

Edited by Jack Grey

What does any of this matter tho, as long as Eddie has the best interests of the city at heart?

People say she’s not suitable as she’s not actually from Sheffield but maybe that’s a good thing. None of the biases and preformed opinions, someone looking in from the outside.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Izzard, 58, has previously spoken about her gender-fluid identity and having modes. Earlier in her career she identified as a transvestite, saying she felt like “a complete boy plus half a girl” and referring to herself as “a lesbian trapped in a man’s body”.

In 2017, she told the Hollywood Reporter: “I am essentially transgender. I have boy mode and girl mode. I do feel I have boy genetics and girl genetics.”

in 2020, Eddie Izzard has adopted the pronouns “she” and “her”, saying she wants “to be based in girl mode from now on”.

I’m sure Sheffield can relate to that while they choose between  freezing to death or starvation  this winter………….?

10 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

What does any of this matter tho, as long as Eddie has the best interests of the city at heart?

People say she’s not suitable as she’s not actually from Sheffield but maybe that’s a good thing. None of the biases and preformed opinions, someone looking in from the outside.

The thing I dont get is what is he/she /it  going to do for Sheffield and why ?

24 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I want to be called a millionaire but I have no money.

18 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

The thing I dont get is what is he/she /it  going to do for Sheffield and why ?

Well, Nick Clegg did a decent job. He had no previous connection with the city. He was parachuted in, but got stuck in and worked hard for his constituency. I was  happy to have him as my MP, although I never voted for him.

In the other hand Jared O’Mara is Sheffield born and bred. Yet he was a disaster. Similarly, Angela Smith and Miriam Cates have strong ties with the area, but both have been poor MPs.

I’d quite like Izzard as my MP. I’m sure she’d be hardworking. She would certainly get plenty of media attention for the area, which can only be a good thing.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Well, Nick Clegg did a decent job. He had no previous connection with the city. He was parachuted in, but got stuck in and worked hard for his constituency. I was  happy to have him as my MP, although I never voted for him.

In the other hand Jared O’Mara is Sheffield born and bred. Yet he was a disaster. Similarly, Angela Smith and Miriam Cates have strong ties with the area, but both have been poor MPs.

I’d quite like Izzard as my MP. I’m sure she’d be hardworking. She would certainly get plenty of media attention for the area, which can only be a good thing.

Last sentence . How and why would it be a good thing ?