Eddie Izzard - Potential Sheffield Lab Mp?

Just now, Anna B said:

Sorry my mistake. He was notable only because he replaced Nick Clegg who was leader of the Liberal Democrats and never expected to lose. 

Major shock. In other words Jared O'Mara was never expected to win the seat in a million years

So - they nominated a totally unsuitable individual for a - supposedly - important role? Doesn't say much for their planning - IMHO, of course.

5 minutes ago, sibon said:

To be fair, he’s best forgotten.

Why? Because he was an embarrassment?

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So - they nominated a totally unsuitable individual for a - supposedly - important role? Doesn't say much for their planning - IMHO, of course.

I'll give you that one. 

But never forget Nick Clegg lost because he got into bed with the Conservatives, and was knifed in the back by them.

He paid the price of supping with the devil.....

Edited by Anna B

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What's he got to do with it? 

He was Lib Dem, untried and untested, and a total disaster.

He was notable for all the wrong reasons.

There you go , Labours biggest cheerleader.  So they picked OMara because he was not expected to win . Who picks these people?

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

There you go , Labours biggest cheerleader.  So they picked OMara because he was not expected to win . Who picks these people?

I expect they were too busy looking at seats they thought they could win.

And I am not Labour's biggest cheerleader at the moment actually. I think Starmer is a waste of space, and don't know if I'll even be voting next time. 

Which brings me to the point, do you vote for someone you don't like, simply to stop someone you detest from getting in?

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

And I am not Labour's biggest cheerleader at the moment actually. I think Starmer is a waste of space, and don't know if I'll even be voting next time. 

Which brings me to the point, do you vote for someone you don't like, simply to stop someone you detest from getting in?

No

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

For sure.

Anyone who doesn’t vote to remove this failed administration is complicit in their ruination of the country.

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

... Which brings me to the point, do you vote for someone you don't like, simply to stop someone you detest from getting in?

Of course you do, when the alternative is a bunch of clowns and sociopaths who've been putting a torch to the country for the last few years and will continue to do so if Labour doesn't get in next time around.

I have major issues with Labour right now, but I'll fall over myself to vote for them because any more of this is unthinkable.

Edited by Guest

On 26/08/2022 at 12:55, Baron99 said:

Eddie Izzard hopes to be selected by Labour to stand as a candidate for the Sheffield Central constituency. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-62687966.amp

Whatever your views,  wouldn't it be a bit of a kick in the teeth for all the hard working local politicians & Lab activists,  to have Izzard selected for probably one of the safest Lab seats in the country? 

It happens all the time. It's standard practice in both parties, but more so in the Tories, to parachute in pals and people who a) strongly support the party's views, and/or b) can serve the party well. 

Boris Johnson was parachuted into Michael Hesseltine's safe seat even though he had no experience in politics, and a very dodgy history in journalism. He was quickly promoted to a shadow minister's position, but resigned to become Mayor of London.