Eddie Izzard - Potential Sheffield Lab Mp?

There's a lot of 'he/she' 'her/him' going on in this thread (along with quite a lot of trans-bashing and 'you're the gender which I choose to assign you' rubbish). I'd just like to point out that it's very easy to avoid this  altogether by using 'they/them'. Got into the habit of it working with a lot of international students when I wasn't sure from their name what their gender would be. 

Good luck to Eddie - I'm sure they will do a good job. And can you blame labour? If the recent political past has proven anything, it's that people will vote for a character rather than a party or what they stand for (Boris, Donald, etc.). At least Eddie has a shred of decency, empathy and honesty; something that someone cut from the Eton political cloth has often been found lacking.

And they're bloody smart as well. Intelligent and decent and yet people are criticizing them? Can't help thinking that's more to do with them choosing to wear a dress and how that makes you uncomfortable rather than whether they will do a decent job or not. 

7 minutes ago, GritGit said:

There's a lot of 'he/she' 'her/him' going on in this thread (along with quite a lot of trans-bashing and 'you're the gender which I choose to assign you' rubbish). I'd just like to point out that it's very easy to avoid this  altogether by using 'they/them'. Got into the habit of it working with a lot of international students when I wasn't sure from their name what their gender would be. 

Good luck to Eddie - I'm sure they will do a good job. And can you blame labour? If the recent political past has proven anything, it's that people will vote for a character rather than a party or what they stand for (Boris, Donald, etc.). At least Eddie has a shred of decency, empathy and honesty; something that someone cut from the Eton political cloth has often been found lacking.

And they're bloody smart as well. Intelligent and decent and yet people are criticizing them? Can't help thinking that's more to do with them choosing to wear a dress and how that makes you uncomfortable rather than whether they will do a decent job or not. 

Hmmm... :huh:

The bloke dropped out of a Sheffield University Accountancy course after one year.

Please enlighten us with any other connection he has with Sheffield... :roll:

Is "an association with a certain area" really that important? Not really sure why some people are getting so hung up about it. People are parachuted into areas all of the time to contest elections. 

Winston Churchill represented numerous areas during his time, as far north as Dundee and as far south as Essex, and long before he became PM too.  But then again he didn't wear a dress so people probably didnt give a toss.

Lest we forget Izzard might not even win the local vote to stand for the party in Sheffield Central, so pages of outrage may even be for nothing....

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Is "an association with a certain area" really that important? Not really sure why some people are getting so hung up about it. People are parachuted into areas all of the time to contest elections. 

Winston Churchill represented numerous areas during his time, as far north as Dundee and as far south as Essex, and long before he became PM too.  But then again he didn't wear a dress so people probably didnt give a toss.

Lest we forget Izzard might not even win the local vote to stand for the party in Sheffield Central, so pages of outrage may even be for nothing....

Indeed...

... he's being used just as the warm-up act! :hihi:

27 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

The bloke dropped out of a Sheffield University Accountancy course after one year.

Please enlighten us with any other connection he has with Sheffield... :roll:

Of course, I forgot you can only be good at a job if it's in the town you were born in.