Looking For A Sheffield Pit Location

This is my first time here and I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me or not.

My late grandfather worked down the pits in Sheffield, I am hoping to find the site of the pit he worked in as I'd like to see it, or see the area.

But I have no idea where exactly to start looking and also no idea which pit it was that he worked in.

I can give you some information about him though and see if anybody maybe knew him or knows anything about him.

His name was Eric Foster, he was born on November 26th 1920 in Worksop to George Foster and Ethel Sanders.

Later in life he lived in Handsworth, on Ravenscroft Drive (I believe),  he married Edith Hardy and they had 3 children, Mavis, Ernest and Christine.

Eric died in June 1962 age 42.

If anyone can help at all I'd be most grateful.

Thank You.

36 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

There was a pit in Handsworth at the bottom of Finchwell Road on the left hand side.

post-188-1220444295.jpg

Yes Jim, as he lived In Handsworth that makes sense, there was also the Nunnery pit and I think those two were connected underground.

50 minutes ago, classicfan said:

Could also have been Orgreave, Treeton,  Brookhouse or Fence Colliery. 

I'd put my money on Orgreave as he basically lived round the corner.

Treeton  could be a possibility also.

Brookhouse is the unlikely one as it would be further out and not sure if Fence was a pit but was more likely a coking plant.

On 30/08/2022 at 08:57, Cody's Granddad said:

I'd put my money on Orgreave as he basically lived round the corner.

Treeton  could be a possibility also.

Brookhouse is the unlikely one as it would be further out and not sure if Fence was a pit but was more likely a coking plant.

Fence Colliery was sited where the Workshops were that closed in 1995. I worked there from 1966-1995.