Just Stop Oil . Heros Or Villains?

9 hours ago, crookesey said:

During my long gone working days I well recall making savings when I had a good year, some spent everything, cynic that I am I knew that there was a good chance of bad times to come. I will just grit my teeth and use my ‘bad times fund’ for what it was intended for.

It’s always about you isn’t it?

On 03/09/2022 at 12:34, crookesey said:

During my long gone working days I well recall making savings when I had a good year, some spent everything, cynic that I am I knew that there was a good chance of bad times to come. I will just grit my teeth and use my ‘bad times fund’ for what it was intended for.

Says man who bought his son a house. 

On 02/09/2022 at 21:27, sibon said:

I’ve just bought a house to do up. Until recently, it had an old lady living in it. I mention that just to point out that it is far from derelict, but there’s work to do.

Almost every house on my street has single glazed bay windows.  Mine is no exception. I’m going to get  the sash windows double glazed shortly.

I’m also just about to renovate my ground floor. When I do, I’ll stick in under floor insulation which will stop a massive amount of heat loss. 

I’ve just finished draught proofing my doors and windows.

There are millions of houses across the country that could be better insulated. Often at a fraction of the cost of installing solar panels, for example.

If you don’t want WW3, I’d suggest that energy efficiency is quite an important thing.

I’m quite interested that you’re going to fit underfloor insulation as I’ve never known anyone do this as a retrofit. It’s standard practice in new builds and extensions and I’ve done a fair few myself. 100 mm of Kingspan/Celotex was the rule last time I looked and it’s expensive stuff. Added to the bill will be the cost of replacement flooring after you have destroyed the pine T&G while lifting it. Pressure treated chipboard is cheaper than pine as a replacement but it’s still more than doubled in price over the last few years. Thicker underlay might be a cheaper option unless your house is old enough to have a cellar providing access to the underside of the existing floor.

2 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

I’m quite interested that you’re going to fit underfloor insulation as I’ve never known anyone do this as a retrofit. It’s standard practice in new builds and extensions and I’ve done a fair few myself. 100 mm of Kingspan/Celotex was the rule last time I looked and it’s expensive stuff. Added to the bill will be the cost of replacement flooring after you have destroyed the pine T&G while lifting it. Pressure treated chipboard is cheaper than pine as a replacement but it’s still more than doubled in price over the last few years. Thicker underlay might be a cheaper option unless your house is old enough to have a cellar providing access to the underside of the existing floor.

The floor is coming out, for a variety of reasons. The main one being that it is knackered. So the insulation is a no brainer. There will be a nice oak floor over the top of it. 

I’ve done it via cellars before. It makes a surprising amount of difference.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

The floor is coming out, for a variety of reasons. The main one being that it is knackered. So the insulation is a no brainer. There will be a nice oak floor over the top of it. 

In one of my properties it had a beautiful laminate floor all the way through the whole flat

I ripped it all out and replaced it with carpet and a good quality underlay

They hardly have the heating on during the winter 

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

In one of my properties it had a beautiful laminate floor all the way through the whole flat

I ripped it all out and replaced it with carpet and a good quality underlay

They hardly have the heating on during the winter 

Each to their own, I suppose. I’d have ripped up laminate too😁

This one will be beautiful, and warm when it is done. Both things are important, in my opinion.

On 03/09/2022 at 09:53, Delbow said:

Council housing is not very well insulated. First page of the offer in Sheffield is Here , it's all C and D rated. Most of it was built in the 60s and 70s when there were no building regs for insulation.

Apologies I will clarify my point. Council houses or ex council houses I have worked on with conventional roofs have plenty of insulation. Between the ceiling joists and then another layer at 90 degrees over the joists. They will have warning notices stapled to the roof timbers informing tenants not to walk in the loft. The problem you have identified is the fact that the council has unconventional builds from the 50’s onwards which are difficult to upgrade. I know, I lived in one for 13 years. So what’s the solution apart from demolition? My own thoughts for what they’re worth is fitting lowered ceilings with extra insulation where room height permits. Before we apparently became a nation of dwarves back in the 80’s rooms were typically around 8’ high so there’s a bit of scope there. Whether there’s a will or budget is a different question.

19 minutes ago, sibon said:

Agreed, if the existing flooring is already shot then I would would bite the bullet and go for the upgrade too.