Prescription Only Toothpaste

Duraphat, high fluoride toothpaste, does it work?

A elderly relative was proscribed it, I thought my teeth are getting old too.

Why are these things prescription only, if I brushed my teeth with bleach, that would be harmful. But bleach isn't a proscription item.

1 hour ago, Rollypolly said:

Both me and my o/h use duraphat toothpaste which we get on prescription from the dentist. Can't say whether it works but we've not needed any treatment for years. 😁

On the one hand fluoride can be harmful, but perhaps older people are ok, it does seem like it's the active ingredient in toothpaste.

Do you also have fluoride in your drinking water? I understand that affects whether it will be proscribed.

There is no added fluoride in our water supply. My dentist seems very keen to prescribe it to most of her patients. She says the cost to the NHS outweighs the cost of future treatment. I certainly haven't had any problems with it and will carry on using it for as long as I can. I would say if you can get it, go for it

18 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

There is no added fluoride in our water supply. My dentist seems very keen to prescribe it to most of her patients. She says the cost to the NHS outweighs the cost of future treatment. I certainly haven't had any problems with it and will carry on using it for as long as I can. I would say if you can get it, go for it

Havent you seen the news......the fluoride in the water is turning frogs gay 😁

None of Yorkshire Water's supply is artificially fluoridated. Any fluoride that is present in the water is naturally occurring at well below the health and safety standards set by the EU and the UK government

3 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

There is no added fluoride in our water supply. My dentist seems very keen to prescribe it to most of her patients. She says the cost to the NHS outweighs the cost of future treatments.

Never heard it mentioned. It probably only costs them a pound or two.

On 03/09/2022 at 10:52, El Cid said:

Why are these things prescription only, if I brushed my teeth with bleach, that would be harmful. But bleach isn't a proscription item.

Don’t t be so stupid you should not use bleach that is for preventing covid , for your teeth you need something like harpic that removes the limescale and plaque

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

Don’t t be so stupid you should not use bleach that is for preventing covid , for your teeth you need something like harpic that removes the limescale and plaque

My dad used to put his false teeth in water with added bleach. It kills 99.9% of know germs 🤣