Good Specsavers Alternative?

2 hours ago, lobster said:

Stick to Specsavers - tried Vision exprees once Lenses fell out after 3 days never again

I think that I will have another go, this time I will take my wife with me, she understands those overpriced brands I don't so they probably tried to pull a fast one on me by offering me frames with the signature of some cokehead 

On 03/09/2022 at 15:34, HumbleNarrator said:

The spectacle industry/opticians are being "Uberized" with all these companies offering specs at a fraction of the price of Specsavers. Let me ask you a question...once all the taxi firms are gone, and all you're left with is Uber, do you honestly think Uber rides will stay cheap? ...exactly, well it'll be the same with glasses.

Absolutely.

The last couple of times I went to Specsavers I wasn’t impressed. I give up on them years ago for contact lenses, and went to independent optician instead, after a few mix ups. I used them to buy glasses recently as I had vouchers but won’t be back.  For such a large chain, their range of frames was not impressive and they went for the hard sell on extras for lenses.   After that experience, I’m not buying any more glasses until absolutely necessary and certainly not from Specsavers.
I’ve looked them up on wiki and the quote below says it all really.  

‘The Perkins attribute their success to their franchise model, and to the deregulation of the UK Opticiansmarket by the Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s, allowing opticians to use previously forbidden advertising and marketing techniques to rapidly take over a market that had belonged to independent local opticians.[31]

The Perkins have said of the remaining local opticians that "their days are numbered", and in fact their major competition now comes from large chains such as Boots Opticians and Vision Express.‘