Recommendation For Non Crop Photo Printing

Chekhov

19 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Can you rip the pics from your dvd to a pc

Yes they are also on the PC, but I really am not keen on uploading 4GB ! It's not only how long it'll take it's the frustration I would feel if it got half way though then it threw a wobbler, e.g. "maximum file size reached". I have had that before......

I'd be surprised if you can find anywhere you can 'send in' a DVD for them to print...

it will take manual time and effort to do so, and will likely cost more than just 'upload, print, mail' type..

You are better finding somewhere like Max Spielman in Tesco and using them, doing it yourself.... may cost slightly more, but may be your only option honestly..

Without pulling them off your DVD onto your computer, and uploading them...

22 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

I'd be surprised if you can find anywhere you can 'send in' a DVD for them to print...

it will take manual time and effort to do so, and will likely cost more than just 'upload, print, mail' type..

You are better finding somewhere like Max Spielman in Tesco and using them, doing it yourself.... may cost slightly more, but may be your only option honestly..

Without pulling them off your DVD onto your computer, and uploading them...

I agree with you, finding anyone to do anything even slightly different is ludicrously hard these days, that is the downside of computer programmes running everything : "the computer says no (so **** off)".

How long would it take them to put a DVD in a drawer ! It annoys me off these people don't want to do anything for their money.

But unless one has faith there will be no problem with the upload and also have a very fast internet connection uploading 4GB is not exactly stress free. It takes long enough to download 4GB, and upload speeds are slower, often much slower......

Max Spielmann want 35p per print it's a ridiculous price particularly for 150 pics

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I agree with you, finding anyone to do anything even slightly different is ludicrously hard these days, that is the downside of computer programmes running everything : "the computer says no (so **** off)".

How long would it take them to put a DVD in a drawer ! It annoys me off these people don't want to do anything for their money.

But unless one has faith there will be no problem with the upload and also have a very fast internet connection uploading 4GB is not exactly stress free. It takes long enough to download 4GB, and upload speeds are slower, often much slower......

Max Spielmann want 35p per print it's a ridiculous price particularly for 150 pics

On the other hand, if you had researched the means of printing before creating your images, you could have made them to fit your desired  format cheaply.  FPPPPP.

1 hour ago, Tyke02 said:

On the other hand, if you had researched the means of printing before creating your images, you could have made them to fit your desired  format cheaply.  FPPPPP.

It has been suggested elsewhere that putting a 3x2 outline round any non 3x2 image would alleviate the no crop issue, though that is a load more work than just unticking "fit picture to frame" in a print dialogue programme ! 

But we still have the issue of uploading a 4GB file, as the lazy inflexible dipsticks will not accept a DVD.

52 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It has been suggested elsewhere that putting a 3x2 outline round any non 3x2 image would alleviate the no crop issue, though that is a load more work than just unticking "fit picture to frame" in a print dialogue programme ! 

But we still have the issue of uploading a 4GB file, as the lazy inflexible dipsticks will not accept a DVD.

Which leads to the question of why you need a 27MB file to produce a print of that size.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

Which leads to the question of why you need a 27MB file to produce a print of that size.  

Very good point, the whole file on the DVD is 4.5GB, but there are also some videos on there, normally I just send the DVD to Harrison's and they just print out the pictures so I just guessed at 4GB. Having just checked there are 169 pics and they come to 975MB, thus showing just how big video files are since there are only 29 videos on there and most are only about 30 sec long !

At work I think we are on a 25MB/sec connection, but that's for downloads. Has anyone any idea how long uploading  975MB on that connection would take ?

And the likelihood of an issue with it ?

If it's now practicable to upload the file I will go through all pics checking they're 3:2 (and do so on all my future editing ! ) then put a border round any which aren't, and then use Snapfish or whoever at 10p a pic rather than Harrisons at 25p a pic.....

Edited by Chekhov

Pictures are usually a couple of MB each at most, unless they are ultra high resolution and crazy sizes....

169 pics, in 975MB means each picture is around 6MB in size, this 'should' only take a few seconds each to upload...

if your work has a 25MB connection, i'd imagine you are out in a remote area as that's low for even those on the outskirts of the city at the moment....

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Very good point, the whole file on the DVD is 4.5GB, but there are also some videos on there, normally I just send the DVD to Harrison's and they just print out the pictures so I just guessed at 4GB. Having just checked there are 169 pics and they come to 975MB, thus showing just how big video files are since there are only 29 videos on there and most are only about 30 sec long !

At work I think we are on a 25MB/sec connection, but that's for downloads. Has anyone any idea how long uploading  975MB on that connection would take ?

And the likelihood of an issue with it ?

If it's now practicable to upload the file I will go through all pics checking they're 3:2 (and do so on all my future editing ! ) then put a border round any which aren't, and then use Snapfish or whoever at 10p a pic rather than Harrisons at 25p a pic.....

You can check your upload speed here: https://www.speedtest.net/

28 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Pictures are usually a couple of MB each at most, unless they are ultra high resolution and crazy sizes....

169 pics, in 975MB means each picture is around 6MB in size, this 'should' only take a few seconds each to upload...

if your work has a 25MB connection, i'd imagine you are out in a remote area as that's low for even those on the outskirts of the city at the moment....

The pics range from 1.5 to 10MB (for some of the multipics).

I have just checked our speed using the BT checker, download is 37MB/sec, upload 8MB/sec.

The interesting thing is when we swapped from our old 4MB/sec connection there was hardly any difference in the speed of websites we were using because, we assume, the limiting factor was the speed of the websites host ? So I am a bit cynical about all this "we'll get you a higher speed" sales pitch !

I admit the upload speeds were far better though.

I suppose it depends what one uses the internet connection for....

Edited by Chekhov