King Charles

14 hours ago, trastrick said:

She was a fine lady, in all respects.

But now there's a good reason for finally ending the monarchy! :)

I don't see why it's a good reason. I know all the anti-monarch and 'anti-this and that' in here won't agree, but whether they think they're right or not... they're wrong. The monarachy and all the history that goes with it,  and how much tourism they bring to London is huge. Without tourism, and London economy in general especially, this country doesn't have enough resources to sustain itself. Even though many argue this point and have for many years, the pandemic proved it. 

But, I think it might end. I won't argue that. At least, it could be the start of it. 

I don't think there is too much love for Charles at home, or around the world. 

Charles should do the honourable/more modern option, and pass it on to William and Kate. I've said this before. They are young, more in tune with modern life and popular around the world.

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well it is going to be a bit hypocritical when we all hear Charles making commitments to God at his coronation & being holier than thou & we eventually see a philanderer & a marriage wrecker sat side by side with crowns plonked on their heads, supposedly representing the best of the nation. 

You forgot the plastic bags of cash for honours

10 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I don't see why it's a good reason. I know all the anti-monarch and 'anti-this and that' in here won't agree, but whether they think they're right or not... they're wrong.

Charlie seems like an intelligent guy and hard working too.

A 90+ year old cannot do much work, but it's really more about virtue signaling.

I am generally anti Royal, but any change will happen gradually as our leaders follow opinion, they don't upset the apple cart 

15 hours ago, trastrick said:

Now you'll have to change the coins and pound notes.

Although I wouldn't be in any hurry to do that! You never know how the Media can turn on a dime. :)

We'll still be using the old ones for a long time yet. I expect any new coins minted will have to have Charles on them, but they'll come in gradually.

Wonderful address to the nation yesterday by a clearly emotional King Charles.

I wish him all the luck in the world in his new role.

Edited by Anna B

During the reign of Queen Elizabeth I people in this country were known as Elizabethans, during the reign of Queen Victoria people were known as Victorians. We have just seen the end of the second Elizabethan era.

Does this mean that we are now all Charlies? If so it seems quite appropriate given recent history.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, m williamson said:

During the reign of Queen Elizabeth I people in this country were known as Elizabethans, during the reign of Queen Victoria people were known as Victorians. We have just seen the end of the second Elizabethan era.

Does this mean that we are now all Charlies? If so it seems quite appropriate given recent history.

Caroleans  :thumbsup: