Who Is Poor?

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

But if you judge poverty by income, I am.

So how do you judge poverty?

Poverty is a state or condition in which a person or community lacks the financial resources and essentials for a minimum standard of living. Poverty means that the income level from employment is so low that basic human needs can't be met.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Poverty is a state or condition in which a person or community lacks the financial resources and essentials for a minimum standard of living. Poverty means that the income level from employment is so low that basic human needs can't be met.

No its total income level regardless of where the money comes from. My income level is £9,600 PA as all I get is a state pension so I am classed as very poor.

4 hours ago, Dromedary said:

No its total income level regardless of where the money comes from. My income level is £9,600 PA as all I get is a state pension so I am classed as very poor.

It is not even that really. I recently had an income of £0 for a few years. I wasn’t poor though. I couldn’t claim benefits.

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

But if you bought your abode you will be £4,000 a year better off than a renter.

I am certainly taking that into account as to when I can retire.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

But if you bought your abode you will be £4,000 a year better off than a renter.

How come?

I live in council property but I am on a state pension only. As my income is so low and benefits are means tested I don't pay rent or council tax and also have a full NHS HC2 Certificate. 

I think there are factors such as being a single parent, disabled, English not being a person's first language, and being elderly, or below the working age which increase a person's vulnerability to poverty. The massive increase in energy prices has forced many people - especially elderly people into a situation where they won't have enough to live on.

As someone who is employed, though not earning a great deal, I can cope, as I don't have any dependents, I'm fit and healthy, and am able to speak up for myself if I'm not being paid the correct amount. For example, a few years ago research was carried out which showed that in one year, £1.2 billions worth of wages were unpaid. That is shocking.

Unpaid Britain | Trust for London

It seems from the research above that certain sectors of the employment market are more guilty than others for engaging in these practices. 

There have been briefings to the media that the Government want to weaken people's employment rights in a number of areas, so this practice could become more frequent depending on what is put forward.

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, Dromedary said:

How come?

I live in council property but I am on a state pension only. As my income is so low and benefits are means tested I don't pay rent or council tax and also have a full NHS HC2 Certificate. 

That's great for you, owning your own house does give you more freedom too.